Toy Hauler A bit heavy!

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
The Navara D40 has a max ball weight of 300kg, and the Basestation compliance plate gives a max ball weight of 306kg so whilst heavy, all appeared ok.
Purchased a Hyman Reese ball weight scales that have readings up to 350kg.......now I know that they might not be 100% accurate but when the reading was off the scale, I think I might have an issue!
The problem is my weight distribution will vary depending on what I carry in the rear of the Basestation so moving heavy stuff such as the battery, or even the water tanks might be ok for one load, but might not help at other times. We plan to load the jetski into the rear when heading to the river, but when touring will only have 3 cycles in the back.
Especially for Toy Hauler / Basestation owners, do you have he same issue with varying load types?
Paul

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Not too worried about the compliance plate, but am concerned if the ball weight is approximate to the weight scale reading.
Plan to weight the rear area with the jetski to get a reading of the 2 extremes being fully weighted at the rear and fully empty at the rear, then I can determine what I need to do to get the best balance.....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Navara D40 has a max ball weight of 300kg, and the Basestation compliance plate gives a max ball weight of 306kg so whilst heavy, all appeared ok.
Purchased a Hyman Reese ball weight scales that have readings up to 350kg.......now I know that they might not be 100% accurate but when the reading was off the scale, I think I might have an issue!
The problem is my weight distribution will vary depending on what I carry in the rear of the Basestation so moving heavy stuff such as the battery, or even the water tanks might be ok for one load, but might not help at other times. We plan to load the jetski into the rear when heading to the river, but when touring will only have 3 cycles in the back.
Especially for Toy Hauler / Basestation owners, do you have he same issue with varying load types?
Paul
Ive got a Hayman Reece ball scale, and Im pretty confident its relatively close to the weight indicated on the scale ... certainly not 50kg out

Reactions: dagree

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Paul
As we never intended for more than a couple of bikes in the back we are lucky in being to set it up with the ball weight around the plated 265 (from memory). It's taken quite a bit of battery (2) and spare relocation to get it down to there though. Front inner spring mattress and microwave gone. The 60+ Kg's of batteries to over the axle's and 34Kg spare to under rear was needed otherwise there was no hope of taking the Honda in the front store box. Probably could have taken issue with Jayco but as we've achieved a satisfactory outcome we'll live with it.

You could be right with your ball scales though. With out any changes and with what we had in the van for the trip home after pickup, from memory on proper scales our ball weight was around 330. That's why I had to do drastic changes, or buy a large toy.

I was wondering though as to how other Toy Haulers owners would achieve it with a load of actual toys, or not. Literally sounds like a hard balancing job. For a start you could possibly experiment with mounting the spare under the rear or in the normal front position depending on what is also being carried in the rear.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
How about mounting a couple of water tanks up under the back, fill the ones in the front when you have a heavy load and use the ones in the tail when you only have the 3 bikes.Can't have to many tanks, you don't have to use all of them at one time, but could be handy.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I would never trust those scales to cheap a reece dealer will have good ones ask them to weigh it for you or weigh bridge
Agree they might not be that accurate but even if out by 10%, then it is still too heavy. The gauge will at least let me compare between different loads in the rear.
I have been considering another water tank, just as crustt mentioned. Certainly would help as rear ballast although if we are going to a campsite, seams silly to cart 90kg of unnecessary water about. Total weight v ball weight? In my case, ball weight is the one over the limit so a rear tank is likely. Just to decide whether to add a third tank, or reposition one of the existing tanks.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Agree they might not be that accurate but even if out by 10%, then it is still too heavy. The gauge will at least let me compare between different loads in the rear.
I have been considering another water tank, just as crustt mentioned. Certainly would help as rear ballast although if we are going to a campsite, seams silly to cart 90kg of unnecessary water about. Total weight v ball weight? In my case, ball weight is the one over the limit so a rear tank is likely. Just to decide whether to add a third tank, or reposition one of the existing tanks.
My dual wheel van filling only rear tank made NO real diffrance to ball weight maybe 5 to 10 kgs

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The proliferation of threads all over the place recently regarding Weight, Overloading and similar Paranoia how about some moderator making a new Catergory , "Weights and Measures" or similiar to keep them all together so some of us can keep well clear of them........???????

To the unititiated they can be scaring the crap out of them, thinking all many of evil things will happen when in reality most haven't a damn clue of the complexities .

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Final situation is that we now have a ball weigh of around 330kg with 2 X 4.5kg gas bottles; battery moved to rear wardrobe; front tank moved to behind axle; 2nd battery also in rear area...
Today loaded the JetSki and the ball weight is between 240-260kg, with both water tanks full.
Taking the ski up to the river tomorrow and will post how we get on........

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Will check ball weight tomorrow again but from memory my basestation when i first picked it up was only about 285kg with almost full water and gas tanks and nothing at all in it and with the back empty.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like the fun I had with truck loadings........moving weight to the rear, the lower the better, further from axle bigger change.
When I did big changes to my old camper, I used jerry cans of water moved around to check load config's, worked a treat.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Ok checked ball weights this morning and this is what I got.
loaded with water (3 tanks full) 2 full 9kg gas bottles, clothing, all equipment needed for a trip but nothing in cargo area ball weight is 335kg
20160206_094400.jpg
All other stuff the same but front water tank water transfered to rear grey water tank (shifting 90kg of water from front to rear) and ball weight is 260 kg
20160206_100514.jpg
All the same but grey water tank empty I have a ball weight of 310kg
20160206_110007.jpg

Last edited: