17' Series 7 pin v 12 pin plugs

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Hi all

I could not find a quick answer on this forum so I hope I am not duplicating. We pick up our new 17.56-2OB next weekend and it naturally comes with a 12 pin plug. Our tow vehicle has a 7 pin plug + Anderson connection. Being a bit of a dummy when it comes to all things mechanical and electrical, do I have to change the 7 pin receiver on my vehicle, and if so, is it just a matter changing the fitting or is there significant re-wiring involved? We have ordered the van with the Anderson connection wired direct to the battery/Setec charger, and the 12 pin plug wired to run the fridge direct from the vehicle.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Wado,
yes you will need to change the plug on your car to a 12 pin plug. As you mentioned, the van has a 12 pin plug so you can run the fridge.
The easiest way to wire up the 12 pin would be to take the feed from the Anderson plug at the back of the car and run it into pins 9 & 10 on the 12 pin to run the fridge. The Anderson plug can be left to just charge the battery.

Just for info, I have the 12 pin on mine and it does both. I removed the Anderson plug from my car and ran the 6mm wires into the 12 pin. One less wire to hookup. Works well too.

Cheers,
Matty

Reactions: blacky

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Matty,

If you have no Anderson plug, what else do you need to do for the additional fridge lead ?

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
My van powers the fridge and charges the battery from the 12 pin. This is the way it came from Jayco.
I gather you can order an Anderson plug to either charge the battery or run the fridge or both, but if you can get the same size wire into the 12 pin that goes into an Anderson, there's no need for the additional plug.

It all depends on how you want it wired. I didn't request an Anderson at time of order nor was it offered. Both of the cars I have towed it with have just had the 6mm hotwire into the 12 pin, using a Redarc battery isolator in the Pajero with dual batteries and a simple voltage drop relay in the Territory, as it doesn't have dual batteries..

Cheers,
Matty

Reactions: ROnEM

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Thanks. I anticipated this might be the case. We already use the Anderson connection from tow vehicle to the battery in our current set up, + 7 pin plug. The tug is set up with dual batteries and isolator and we have not yet forgotten to unplug the van when stopped for too long. Think I will just leave it alone and change the 12 pin on the van to 7.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Wado,
if you change the 12 pin on the van to a 7, then you won't be able to run the van fridge from 12v whilst travelling, as that draws its power from the 12 pin plug on the car AFAIK.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Wado, we have had the 12 pin changed back to a 7 and the andersen plug installed on the van. The guys at bundy said this was better to run the bigger fridge separately. We also have a dual battery installed by our Auto Electrician previously so it will be used just to run the fridge and I think one of the pins on the 7 plug will be charging the batteries.

PS - I really don't know what I'm talking about..... hope it makes some sense

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Thanks everyone. We will replicate what has already been succesful for us. 7 pin plug to run the electrics and fridge; Anderson connection direct from the vehicle to the battery. This will also allow us to "plug and play" with portable solar.

Reactions: blacky