7 pin to 12 pin and Solar charge

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
I've got a 7 pin, but Expanda with 150L fridge and battery comes with 12 pin plug. I want to be able to charge battery down the track with portable solar panels. Should I get Jayco to change the 12 pin to a 7 pin and keep the battery wires separate with an Anderson plug and then install an Anderson plug on my car, or should I change my car over to a 12 pin and then cut into the battery wires on drawbar and put an Anderson plug connection in so that I can discontect and charge from portable solar panels that way?

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Me personnally, I've gone with a 7 pin large round plug because I find they give a better more reliable contact and an Anderson Plug for the 12V from the car. I went this way so that I could run 6B&S cable through the car. This way I reduced the voltage drop when drawing high currents for charging and running a 3-way fridge and the 12 pin trailer plug can't accomodate the really large cable sizes. When I disconnect from the car I can add an addition battery to the trailer by connecting to the Anderson plug or attach solay panels for charging.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
I'm with gwadir. I have 7 pin on car and van with heavy duty wire through the car. As a side note, do you have a heavy duty 12volt pump also? You can mod that to an Anderson plug and run from the back of you car also if you have the Anderson plug setup. :) so convenient.

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
That's sold me. I have a compressor. So adding an Anderson plug with heavy duty cable to the car will allow me to plug in other accessories so much easier. Brilliant. If I kept the 12 Pin and put two andersoner plugs between battery wires on Van side of 12 pin plug I wouldn't have had that ability.

Thanks.