Electrical 7 pin plug contact issue

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
I've been fiddling with my 7 pin plug on the van as I getting random tail light failures. Blinkers not working, then no brake lights, the left blinker only and a range of other random combinations.

Amazing 7 steps to fix a 7 pin plug!

Step 1. Check wiring of plugs - all good.
Step 2. Have a beer - all good.
step 3. Look at contact surfaces inside female plug - all ok
Step 4. Have another beer - getting better.
Step 5. Look at male plug. Pins are split types Z - have another beer
Step 6. What a stupid :censored: idea. Go to step 7.
Step 7. Open up gaps in pins, plug in and check. ALL GOOD.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had a similar issue in February with the left indicator..... Checked everything out and still no good. Steps 2, 4 & 6 were completed prior to starting ;)

Did the same with spreading the pin and no more probs..... Then onto Step 8!!!!!!

Unfortunately I started at the rear of the van and worked forward..... Keeping that fix in the memory bank!

Last edited:

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
L/H Indicator seems to be a common falt, I had to spread the pin on mine also.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
In looking for something with a more positive connection I came across these. Seem to be from the USA. Anyone seen these in action in Australia before? Looks like one side is bent spring to provide the connection to the spade lug on the other side. Looks OK in theory.
PK11893_4_1000.jpg
54-77-003_20_1000.jpg

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Thats a nice looking unit, I like the finger hooks for pulling it out. As long as the terminals on the socket are spring steel you should never have a problem.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
because we wiggle the connector to get it out, we slowly close the gaps on the pins......
I always spray my coupling, exposed chassis, handbrake, kids, handbrake cable and the electrical plug connections on the van and car with Inox. Very versatile stuff….! Lubricates the pins and makes connections work.
I buy it in a 5 litre container and even coat my 6x4 trailer with it every 6 months or so from a spray pack and it looks new after ten years in open air.

http://www.inoxmx.com/applications-uses/electrical-applications-for-inox/

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I always spray my coupling, exposed chassis, handbrake, kids, handbrake cable and the electrical plug connections on the van and car with Inox. Very versatile stuff….! Lubricates the pins and makes connections work.
I buy it in a 5 litre container and even coat my 6x4 trailer with it every 6 months or so from a spray pack and it looks new after ten years in open air.

http://www.inoxmx.com/applications-uses/electrical-applications-for-inox/

I'd be using Duct Tape on the kids @twscoot ;)
But agree with Inox being the "Bee's Knee's"... Also great for spraying under the outboard motor cowling to protect the electrics!

Reactions: bigcol and twscoot