17' Series 50/50 mattress on 2014 model - extremely hard

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
Hi All,
We have the 17.56-1 2014 model with 50/50 split mattress, we have used our van once so far and both my husband and I found the mattress extremely hard we would both wake up really stiff in the morning.
I was wondering about other people's experience with this model mattress.
We only picked our van up in dec and we had the target memory foam topper on, so wondering if all the mattresses are as hard - should I get a thicker topper or see Jayco for replacement?

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
hi @Heidi at , i to wake up stiff in the morning :D lol, typical jayco mattress. we use a topper and find it only a little more help full.
we will change to a spring mattress down the track, if the van is not upgraded in the mean time.
i believe its an issue for a few on here.

Reactions: jacbaz

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We seem to have the 1/3 2/3 splitting mattress. I've got a padded mattress protector and one of those egg shell foam things on top (but it's also got these waves on it). It makes it nice to sleep on, but I have tried it with only the mattress protector on . It was hard but ok.

Do the 50-50 split ones still have that little extra bit down the side?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We seem to have the 1/3 2/3 splitting mattress. I've got a padded mattress protector and one of those egg shell foam things on top (but it's also got these waves on it). It makes it nice to sleep on, but I have tried it with only the mattress protector on . It was hard but ok.

Do the 50-50 split ones still have that little extra bit down the side?

We have the 50/50 on the front bed (and yes it does have the little fill in bit) and the 1/3 2/3 on the rear bed

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Ours is on the front bed. On the back we have a tiny bit, a huge piece then an add on the width of the bottom cupboard. The front matteress makes it hard to 'do up'. There's no way we can put our table under the lid the way it is.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ours is on the front bed. On the back we have a tiny bit, a huge piece then an add on the width of the bottom cupboard. The front matteress makes it hard to 'do up'. There's no way we can put our table under the lid the way it is.

They don't have them mixed up do they ?

Our rear bed is very tight and we couldn't fit anything under the lid, but a table would fit under the front.

Just curious given we have the same van.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We use a hard mattress at home, but use a mattress topper on our van and find it comfortable with that on there.
Yep, we bought a mattress topper for ours as well, now sleep very comfortably.
Do need to ensure the zip doesn't come undone!

Smiley

Mar 26, 2015
Qld
We have the 50/50 on the front bed (and yes it does have the little fill in bit) and the 1/3 2/3 on the rear bed
Are they both the same height??? Ours has 20mm height difference. App there was a bad batch. We are awaiting to see what they will do to fix the prob???

Reactions: Smirke

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
Well this is our first trip since buying the new topper and the bed is soo much more comfortable than before, obviously not as good as home but will certainly do us just fine. We have left the topper on while folding the bed, it is an extremely tight squeeze but rather that then taking topper off every time especially on overnight stopovers when we start our half trip of Australia shortly.
The topper we brought is 10cm memory foam, soo really thick - Hubby said it was too soft until he sleep on it; not waking up stiff anymore.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@JOBSWAN we have a latex topper we purchased from Target but searching just now they don't seem to have them any more.

IKEA also have quite a good range of different thickness toppers which would be worth investigating.

Reactions: JOBSWAN