4mm2 into Solar Regulator

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Hi everyone
Just got my solar panels today, 3 x 40w from Solar Power Australia with a 20 amp solar reg,
I hinged all the panels today and attached handles and stay clips, but have been looking at the regulator connection points and think i may have trouble getting the 4mm2 cable into the termination,
What have the gurus done to get round this possible problem?
Was thinking of a yellow pin style lug.

msmith24

Mar 14, 2012
Leopold, Victoria
Hi Clayton,
What you are thinking, would be the best way to go. The yellow crimp pins are the correct size for your cable and the pin will fit into the terminals. Make sure you crimp the wire with a proper pair of crimpers to ensure a good termination.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Clayton,

Where possible, use heavier gauge copper wire from your solar panels to minimise voltage drop.

Typically, you want to use 6mm at a minimum. The 4mm wire is only 1.8mm2, while 6mm wire is 4.5mm2 - 250% more.

I have used 6B&S (about 13mm2) from the panels to the regulator.

If possible, remove the solar regulator from the rear of the solar panel assembly and place the solar regulator as close to the battery/ies as possible.

Below is a wire gauge guide and a Crimp Selection Chart to assist.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

RedArc Wire Gauges.png

Crimp Selection Guide.png

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Clayton,

Where possible, use heavier gauge copper wire from your solar panels to minimise voltage drop.

Typically, you want to use 6mm at a minimum. The 4mm wire is only 1.8mm2, while 6mm wire is 4.5mm2 - 250% more.

I have used 6B&S (about 13mm2) from the panels to the regulator.

If possible, remove the solar regulator from the rear of the solar panel assembly and place the solar regulator as close to the battery/ies as possible.

Below is a wire gauge guide and a Crimp Selection Chart to assist.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

View attachment 14790
View attachment 14791
Awesome info mate Awesome

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Well there you go... I wasn't expecting that as an answer.

I always thought it stood for Battery & Starter Cable as it seems that they only use B & S to describe the heavier gauges of wire and most times they are used from the Battery to the Starter motor only Googled it when you asked .
Now if you had of asked about a B&S Ball ;)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I always thought it stood for Battery & Starter Cable as it seems that they only use B & S to describe the heavier gauges of wire and most times they are used from the Battery to the Starter motor only Googled it when you asked .
Now if you had of asked about a B&S Ball ;)
I am sure we would get a much more interesting reply to that one. :couple_inlove:

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Wire Gauge Explained - From Redarc Website...

The term wire gauge refers to the thickness of a wire. Wire gauge can be used to determine electrical resistance and the current handling capability of the wire. There are two major standards for describing wire gauge, Metric Wire Gauge (MWG) and American Wire Gauge (AWG). B&S is another commonly used measure of wire gauge, B&S means Brown & Sharpe and B&S is equal to AWG.

Metric Wire Gauge is used outside of the US. Metric Wire Gauge is quoted using its cross sectional area in mm2 to describe the wire thickness.

American Wire Gauge is most commonly used in the US. The AWG is determined via the cross sectional area of the conductor, the same as MWG however AWG is described using a list of gauge numbers. AWG gauge numbers work in the opposite direction to MWG descrpitions, with the smallest numbers representing the largest diameter wires.

B&S is commonly used for thicker wires in Australia. B&S follows the same gauge descriptions as AWG and is simply another way of explaining the wire gauge. AWG = B&S.

AWG/B&S - Small gauge number for large wire cross sectional area - smaller the gauge/larger the wire.

MWG - Small gauge number for small wire cross section area, described in mm2 - smaller the gauge/smaller the wire.

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: Xpandafan