20' Series 20Ft bunk window struts

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
I have just had to order 4 new ones for our November 2014 20.63.1
To say they are flimsy and not suitable for use is an understatement, especially on kids bunk bed windows!
I just had mine replaced by Jayco under warranty. The dealer tried domestic first but they just blew him off.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
our van is4 months old and one of those struts jammed within 1 week of pickup. Just been away, and the top one has gone too. Think Jayco need something better on them

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This is exactly what I did however with one additional step....
The cause of the sticking in our case was slight surface rust on the tiny ball bearing which is held (very) tight against the plastic strut which slides inside the casing. The ball slides against the strut until it hits a small indentation into which it sits for the various opening points. It effectively gets stuck in the hole and can't slide out as the spring is too tight.

Using side cutters, snip off two rings from the spring and then refit. Being such small windows making the spring effectively weaker and in turn means it all runs with less tension. You can stretch the spring a mm or two if you find it too weak.

Had no problem since.
I just modified my bunk window strays. For those that have them, you don't need to remove the stays, the spring mechanism is on the outside of the strut and easily accessible from outside the van with the window open. The spring cap unclips very easily by light prying with a pointy tool such as a knife ... pry off from one end, not from the middle, with you finger on the middle of the clip to stop you flicking it away. Inside the cap are only two parts, a spring and a small loose bearing which seats in the 2 indents on the shaft. The spring is not under enough pressure to fly out, but the spring and bearing will certainly fall out without enough care, and you'll most certainly loose the bearing if it bounces off from dropping at bunk window height.

If you hold a bucket or tub under at least the first one, you'll get a feel for it without the risks associated with not knowing exactly what to expect. I cut about 2mm off the spring with a pair of crappy old pliers, and thats made a world of difference. It very smooth and soft to close with some spray dry lube. My only tip would be to use dry lube, wet lube will attract grime.

2015-09-11 13.50.54copy.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I think there Dometic windows, so any van with smaller Dometic windows with those plastic struts would have the same issue

Falco

Jul 4, 2016
Gold Coast
I have just had the grandkids stay, and the bunk windows got used for the first time in 5 years. 3 gas struts are totally stuck and jammed. One bent beyond repair. Is their any alternative yet to paying the $65 that Jayco want for replacements.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
i use a mobile guy from redland bay ,not sure how far he ranges, he supplies on site and will regass for half retail price if possible ,do a google search for your location, if you cant find one local ,post again and i will give you his number, buying them from ebay is possible but lots of stories about getting wrong pressures and stroke (gas struts gold coast 0409775706 on site no call out fee)

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have just had the grandkids stay, and the bunk windows got used for the first time in 5 years. 3 gas struts are totally stuck and jammed. One bent beyond repair. Is their any alternative yet to paying the $65 that Jayco want for replacements.
Gas struts on the windows ??? Is it the same as my pic a couple of posts up above, there's only a spring and ball bearing inside under the cap circled. If its bent and not broken its likely repairable

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was looking at my daughters New Age van yesterday and noticed small struts for the windows and was wondering if they were the same as yours and how you were getting on...........

Ted farkas

Oct 5, 2014
Hi Guys,

I've had the same problem with my 14ft expanda and ended up pulling apart the window struts to get some functionality.

I have developed a refurb kit currently available on EBAY that maybe of interest if you miss placed the bits and don't want to fork out 70 bucks a pop for a set of the plastic struts or fart around and look for the bits.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224523201964

Happy camping

Regards
Ted