20' Series 2016 - 20.64-1 Outback Observations

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
All,

As I'm getting to know my van, here are my observations on changes, some small, some larger. But essentially stuff that irritates me and will need changing in some way or form.

1- Jockey wheel, the weld to the chassis is not strong enough, if the wheel is facing away from the the chassis the wheel flexes to much out. Always face the wheel UNDER the chassis.
2- Rear bumper is just slotted into two mount holes, if they slid it back 10cm they could bolt all THREE holes up, also have more tube (less leverage) in the mount slots, there is plenty of space to slide this back the 10cm to fix
3- Mixed keys for all lockers, 5 keys (separate keys for, 1 front door, 2 storage lockers x 2, 3 Bed ends, 4 external table, 5 external shower, 6 water)
4- Interior door handles, 2 already broken, many pins starting to fall out on others.
5- Front TV aerial faces the front panda bed, jams on mattress, should be reversed into cupboard, easy fix as the hole and cover is already there for the cables to tun through
6- Front coil mattress does not fit between the end bed hoop, only way to fold it up, is to lower the hoop UNDER the mattress, PITA.
7- New windows, I so mis my OLD wind old starcraft windows, the new flyscreens/ blnds are a pain. You need to lower the blinds to open the window. Mean while teh bloody outback flys come in. to open the larger blinds you need both hands 1m apart to do this, while leaning over the top bunk, dinnnete, this is almost impossible. Really just HATE them and miss teh old 1 handed wind out
8- Slide out, with the dinette slide out, makes for quick road stops hard as you cant always wind it out, we started climbing over it, we leave a stool on the over side and its easy to step on the cushion and over to the stool. The stool doesnt seem to move , even from Syd to Perth. BUT have a close look teh only supports on the dinnete are all near the wall. When its in that is a long leverage when you load it up when you sit or step on it. I will make some roller supports above the setec box and other side which will support this when in and out, reduce load and wear on the actually slide out
9- As others has said a GPO above the stove is needed.
10- Bathroom, needs a soap holder ? they give you a toothbrush holder ?
11- Rear panda bed end is HIGH, we use same step for slide out, for the rear bed,
12- Rear bed mattress is way to big, actually does not fif between far canvas wall and inside wood wall, partially because as doesnt fit in the hoop ends. need to measure it today as I'm sure its a queen and not double, hence some of the issues
13- Did I say I HATE the handles
14- Top stupid drawer under all sinks, at least makes it higher so if you do put a sponge in it, it doesnt fall down
15- Out door tables, seriously are good, MUST HAVE
16- Storage cupboards above rear bed end, section down behind shower is impossible to get to, could be better designed
17- Storage under rear bed need a front door, standard !!!
18- Fixed bunk top, no real strucual long wise support, will reinforce with steel angle in front edge

Thats all now, most can be fixed, but many things are simple bad design and could have been done right the first time , with no extra cost when built. You would think for a company building vans for 30 plus years they should know better.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
All,

As I'm getting to know my van, here are my observations on changes, some small, some larger. But essentially stuff that irritates me and will need changing in some way or form.

1- Jockey wheel, the weld to the chassis is not strong enough, if the wheel is facing away from the the chassis the wheel flexes to much out. Always face the wheel UNDER the chassis.
2- Rear bumper is just slotted into two mount holes, if they slid it back 10cm they could bolt all THREE holes up, also have more tube (less leverage) in the mount slots, there is plenty of space to slide this back the 10cm to fix
3- Mixed keys for all lockers, 5 keys (separate keys for, 1 front door, 2 storage lockers x 2, 3 Bed ends, 4 external table, 5 external shower, 6 water)
4- Interior door handles, 2 already broken, many pins starting to fall out on others.
5- Front TV aerial faces the front panda bed, jams on mattress, should be reversed into cupboard, easy fix as the hole and cover is already there for the cables to tun through
6- Front coil mattress does not fit between the end bed hoop, only way to fold it up, is to lower the hoop UNDER the mattress, PITA.
7- New windows, I so mis my OLD wind old starcraft windows, the new flyscreens/ blnds are a pain. You need to lower the blinds to open the window. Mean while teh bloody outback flys come in. to open the larger blinds you need both hands 1m apart to do this, while leaning over the top bunk, dinnnete, this is almost impossible. Really just HATE them and miss teh old 1 handed wind out
8- Slide out, with the dinette slide out, makes for quick road stops hard as you cant always wind it out, we started climbing over it, we leave a stool on the over side and its easy to step on the cushion and over to the stool. The stool doesnt seem to move , even from Syd to Perth. BUT have a close look teh only supports on the dinnete are all near the wall. When its in that is a long leverage when you load it up when you sit or step on it. I will make some roller supports above the setec box and other side which will support this when in and out, reduce load and wear on the actually slide out
9- As others has said a GPO above the stove is needed.
10- Bathroom, needs a soap holder ? they give you a toothbrush holder ?
11- Rear panda bed end is HIGH, we use same step for slide out, for the rear bed,
12- Rear bed mattress is way to big, actually does not fif between far canvas wall and inside wood wall, partially because as doesnt fit in the hoop ends. need to measure it today as I'm sure its a queen and not double, hence some of the issues
13- Did I say I HATE the handles
14- Top stupid drawer under all sinks, at least makes it higher so if you do put a sponge in it, it doesnt fall down
15- Out door tables, seriously are good, MUST HAVE
16- Storage cupboards above rear bed end, section down behind shower is impossible to get to, could be better designed
17- Storage under rear bed need a front door, standard !!!
18- Fixed bunk top, no real strucual long wise support, will reinforce with steel angle in front edge

Thats all now, most can be fixed, but many things are simple bad design and could have been done right the first time , with no extra cost when built. You would think for a company building vans for 30 plus years they should know better.

And why couldn't the kitchen window be designed so you could open it when the door is open, we like to open everything up for a breeze, but the window hits the door!!!!!!!

Reactions: Pauline and bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I took this pic when i was with @Crusty181..........
Im sure he wont mind me putting it on ......
He and @warren cook may like reading obove posts and adding there own he has a bungie cord inside a noodel
20161229_142830.jpg 20161229_142819.jpg
Now he can keep door and window open Mr ideas man he is ........

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Oh the fun and frustration of having a Expanda
Simple fixes are all they would need but I think they put them there so we have something to do after we buy them
Stops us from sitting back and relaxing too much ;)

I can tell you that a few of the things you find frustrating I also find frustrating on a 4 year old van, you would think they would have learnt by now.