2014 jayco prices. Unsure of what model to buy?

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, so a big hello to everyone.

We just sold our Jayco Flamingo camper which has suited us up until now,
and now we are in the market for a new Jayco pop top or expanda van.
We need something to suit two adults and two kids 3&4 years old.
Preferably bunks for the kids.

From personal experience, would anyone have any recommendations on what model to buy and what price they would be?
We would like to buy a 2014 model.
We have fount it very hard to get a price from jayco without committing to a certain model,
so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dakky68

Nov 19, 2013
Newcastle
:welcome:

We also upgraded from a camper and considered the models with bunks only (as we also have two young kids), but decided that since we don't use an annexe, a second fold out bed could be used for storage etc. We actually ended up with an older model with no bunks, and now I think this suits us better anyway. We have an 18.57 as we didn't want a pop-top and we wanted a shower and toilet - when I step into pop-tops (especially without the shower/toilet), to me they just feel too similar to a camper to justify the cost of the upgrade.

I definitely recommend going for something with a shower and toilet, and also the outback option.

What will you be towing with? That will affect your options.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Here is a link to a price list someone put up a few months back.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2014-model-retail-prices.4433/#post-67427
We brought a Starcraft 17.58-1 although with two kids a 17.58-3 could be a good option, toilet/shower 2 bunks and double

Although if your happy sleeping out in the canvas from the flamingo look at the expanda or work and play's. Four kids under 7 made life harder for us to choose.

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for the feedback dakky. We have a 2012 patrol wagon as the tow vehicle. Yes I think the shower and toilet is a great option. Do you know how much it adds to the final price?

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
Davemc that is very usefull info! Do you know if these recommended retail prices are what people actually pay, or do the dealers generally negotiate a price?
The 2014 Starcraft models seem really good. What is the difference in quality between the models in order for jayco to make them cheaper?

Jason

May 19, 2013
Hi everyone,

From personal experience, would anyone have any recommendations on what model to buy and what price they would be?
We have fount it very hard to get a price from jayco without committing to a certain model,
Hi everyone,

Hi there we went to the sydney show on the weekend and they were $3,000.00 more then from vic i.e. page brothers it would be a good idea to goto your nearest jayco find what your want then give them a ring couldn't believe the difference in $$$

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
I'm thinking the 17.58-3 starcraft OB suits us the best and seems to be reasonably priced. I have never owned a starcraft before so I don't know what the build quality is like, but I have not found any majorly bad reviews about them yet. The only thing that I don't like is the roof being 100mm lower than the journey.
As for traveling interstate, it is definatly on option. Although I don't know what implications there are with diferent state regos. Ie buying in vic but coming home to nsw? Also what is the best Dealer to buy from in vic?
Can anyone shed some light on these questions?
Thanks heaps

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
Yeah I don't think the roof height will worry me either davemc.

I was quoted - 17.58-3 Starcrtaft $34,670.00 on road model. $37,950.00 for the outback.
Prices were for standard vans with no options other than listed on jayco website.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
With the roof height the only real issue I would have personally is if the roof was down the wife + kids couldn't use the van without putting the roof up as there heads literally hit the ceiling.

With the extra height in the discovery roof pop top the family kids + wife can use the van with the roof down.

Don't want to be a pain we loved the layout after being shown it by multiple people but on inspection this was a major draw card.

Plus SWMBO has decided on a very different model know so I am happy :)!

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
I did notice it although did not notice how low to you mentioned it @expanda so checked a van on the tour :(
Not a deal breaker for us at the moment.. could change my mind in 6 months though.
The pop top section is a lot bigger.. no idea why. Anyone here with a Starcraft poptop care to measure it :)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I did notice it although did not notice how low to you mentioned it @expanda so checked a van on the tour :(
Not a deal breaker for us at the moment.. could change my mind in 6 months though.
The pop top section is a lot bigger.. no idea why. Anyone here with a Starcraft poptop care to measure it :)

You will be fine :)!

The pop top section seems to be the same...

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
Prices will change as some dealers option theirs with items already as their std find out what it includes and you will always have freight unless you want to pick up from jayco which you can do too

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
I have never owned a pop top before so I can't speak from experience, but how often are you planing on using it with the roof down?
We love the layout heaps and coming from a flamingo st camper we are used to having to crawl in to get to the fridge on the side of the road.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @Nunga-Nunga and :welcome: to the forum.

We live in Brisbane and bought our van in Mildura. There was nearly a $10k price variance between the states. The dealer should be able to organise a permit for you to drive home with the van and then get your registration organised. It depends on NSW regulations. In Qld, the van had to goto Qld transport to be inspected and then the rego could be done. Just check with insurance etc if all is covered with the permit.

One thing I would recommend is trying to get all your extras included at purchase as the weight from extras such as batteries is then taken into consideration with your tow weights and doesn't eat into your allowances. :)

I also found whilst pricing our van that if the dealer had one in stock, they were more willing to goto a lower price to move the stock on.

Cheers
Ants

Reactions: Nunga-Nunga

Nunga-Nunga

Mar 29, 2014
Thanks heaps for the feedback antman. Much appretiated. I think I will have to do some interstate research for both regos and van prices.