2010 LXR Colorado making a high pitched squeal????

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Just to be up front. This is not my "TOW VEHICLE". I'm just tapping into the wealth of knowledge and expertise that are available on this forum.

Here we go -:
My 2010 LXR dual cab Holden Colorado 3lt turbo diesel make an intermittent high pitched squeal whilst driving. This commonly occurs when cold, however it is very unpredictable. It is coming from the front somewhere. We have eliminated any belt or pulleys being the culprit as the noise is not engine rev specific. It is however vehicle speed specific. The noise will come in at about 40kmh and stay very noticeable all the way to 100kmh. If anybody has experienced this same problem, please let me know. Also if anyone has actually found the cause of this problem. I know it is a common problem as I see (I should say "HEAR") a number of these colorado/D-Max/Rodeos making this noise every day.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
My mates Rodeo 4wd ute makes maybe a similar sound but is not very loud but high pitched. He was told that it is one of the front disks rubbing on the cover plate. It is so intermittent that he puts up with it.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
My mates Rodeo 4wd ute makes maybe a similar sound but is not very loud but high pitched. He was told that it is one of the front disks rubbing on the cover plate. It is so intermittent that he puts up with it.
yeah we had a similiar problem with our work navaras, but it was more metal on metal sound. and it was the vent around the disc rubbing.

try these:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=74488

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?/topic/23181-my-dmax-is-making-a-weird-noise/

http://hixtrips.blogspot.com.au/p/2011-holden-colorado-lt-r-4x4.html

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Just to be up front. This is not my "TOW VEHICLE". I'm just tapping into the wealth of knowledge and expertise that are available on this forum.

Here we go -:
My 2010 LXR dual cab Holden Colorado 3lt turbo diesel make an intermittent high pitched squeal whilst driving. This commonly occurs when cold, however it is very unpredictable. It is coming from the front somewhere. We have eliminated any belt or pulleys being the culprit as the noise is not engine rev specific. It is however vehicle speed specific. The noise will come in at about 40kmh and stay very noticeable all the way to 100kmh. If anybody has experienced this same problem, please let me know. Also if anyone has actually found the cause of this problem. I know it is a common problem as I see (I should say "HEAR") a number of these colorado/D-Max/Rodeos making this noise every day.

My Ra08 Rodeo was a shocker, made that squeal, turned out mine was the forth gear throw out bearing was not getting enough transmission oil, after three attempts to fix by Holden nothing worked. I told them politely that I wanted something done or I will go to Dept of Fair trading and got the whole great box replaced. This was at 5000km from new.

Not sure if this helps, but that was my problem, I thought they would have fixed it.

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
My Ra08 Rodeo was a shocker, made that squeal, turned out mine was the forth gear throw out bearing was not getting enough transmission oil, after three attempts to fix by Holden nothing worked. I told them politely that I wanted something done or I will go to Dept of Fair trading and got the whole great box replaced. This was at 5000km from new.

Not sure if this helps, but that was my problem, I thought they would have fixed it.

Hi
thanks for the response. Mine is an auto box. I had it back to my Holden dealer today and they told me once again that they have no knowledge of this problem happening to anyone else. I say rubbish. I have seen and heard about a dozen or more in the last 6 months. I think it is a case of sweep it under the carpet and maybe I will go away. I think I might start ringing around to dealers to see if anyone else has come across the issue. With only 22000 on the clock, I want to get this sorted.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
My quess would be a crack or leak some where in the exhaust manifold. When under load or accelerating the pressure from the turbo forces air through a leak creating a whistle type noise.
As it only happens when cold is due to the exhaust expanding when it gets hot and sealing the leak or crack.

I wouldn't bet my balls on it but it is very likely the problem.

Jubbly

Jun 16, 2013
I have a 07 rodeo and had this prob from new after no success with dealer chased prob myself after eliminating items one by one the offending item is the half shaft seal (the shaft from front diff to hub). This is a very easy problem to fix. The fix, spray some lubricant (lanolin seams to last longest) around the area where the cv boot meets the front wheel carrier. will stop the squeal for a time. I find I have to reapply every couple of months.

Jay