2010 Jayco Expanda 16.49-1 and WK2 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi All,

I've recently purchased a 2010 Jayco Expanda 16.49-1 and my tug is a WK2 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel.

Wondering whether anybody on this forum has a similar rig, and what experiences, knowledge they can pass on?

Thanks

Luis

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Matty4,

I have 12,000kms on mine and am most impressed. This is my first Jeep that I've ever owned. It has some "get up and go" and is quite economical. On a recent trip from Canberra to Melbourne it averaged 8.1litres/100kms and virtually got us there on half a tank. Coming back with the Expanda in tow, it averaged 13.5 litres/100kms, which I think it pretty darn good. Oh that's on the speed limit of 110kms on the freeway. My tug is pretty standard really. I didn't opt for the Quadralift, or the tow pack. I've had to purchase an EZA LIFT hitch that's rated to 275kg for my Expanda, cause towing it back to Canberra, just past Murrumbateman, there is a left turn, followed by a dip, and then a quick right, that the van started to sway and bob up and down a little. Even thought the car can take a ball weight of 350kg, I thought the purchase of a hitch would tighen everything up further, and stop some of the sway. I'm keen to try it out.

I'm pretty sure that you will be most impressed with your new tug once it arrives.

Anyway, I've picked up some great hints etc from various places regarding my Jeep from the following places, that you may or may not already know about....

The Aus Jeep Forum at http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Technical Service Bulletins and recall notices at http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Luis

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep....all over those sites Luis.

You may also want to check out this forum,
http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php

In the Grand Cherokee WK2 section in the Export section it is pretty much full of us Aussies too.............hehe

If you didn't order it with the towpack, what have you done for a towbar here?
Did you have the dealer fit the Mopar bar or did you go with an HR bar? Costs?

Just getting started on this now for mine, then getting into the P3 instal and associated wiring...can't wait..

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Matty4,

Cool.

I'm leasing mine, and had the HR bar installed along with the P3 unit. What I mean is that my car does not have the tow pack option installed, and therefore does not have the tow/haul electronic stability control feature. This is an extra feature. The cost of the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 was $395.58 installed, and the towbar was $880.

Cheers

Luis

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Just took a pic for you of where the P3 is installed. P1010581.JPG

Here's a pic of the car P1010437.JPG

matt&kell

Aug 30, 2012
Essendon,Vic
Hi Matty4,

I had the Jeep dealership fit my P3. They suggested in the centre console. It's great, hidden out of the way when not in use.

p32.JPGp3.JPG

Cheers

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
I have the hemi version....very happy with it. Also have the p3 in the console.
Factory tow kit and quadra lift. I found it tows very well and surprised at how stable it was although haven't done much towing.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Just took a pic for you of where the P3 is installed. View attachment 9045
Here's a pic of the car View attachment 9046

hi silverfox,, welcome to the forum, sure you will find it very helpfull when needed.

Hey, just a note on the installation of your P3.... I think you may need to rethink this as they actually need installed as close to horizontal as posible with screen facing back of car, like mat&kal have done. Otherwise it will not operate properly. Cheers

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi zerosecta,

This was where the dealership installed my P3. I'm curious as to why it needs to be horitzontal and why it won't operate properly? When you say that it won't operate properly, what kinds of things can I expect to happen. I've towed my Expanda back from Melb to Canberra and never had an issue. Curious as to why it needs to be horizontal?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Luis

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hi Luis

I'm with zerosecta on this one, the manual actually says "The P3 can be mounted from 0 degrees to 360 degrees vertically in the direction of travel

The Direction of Travel is the key to this, from what I understand the way yours is mounted it is not in the direct of travel, unless you go sideways alot?

Duncan

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Duncan and zerosecta,

In my haste to get to work, travelling through traffic and thinking more on this. You are absolutely correct. The idiots have installed mine incorrectly. It is actually facing down, and should be facing in the direction of travel. Absolutely correct. Thank you so much.

Another job for me to do this weekend!!

Thanks again

Cheers

Luis

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
As to the why, I believe these devices have motion sensor(s) in them to assist in determining how much braking is occurring. With it sideways the sensor would not operate and the result would be that it does not activate as aggresivly as possible in an emergency braking situation.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
correct Brookes
They are proportional braking units so need to feel the inertia of the brake. The non-proportional ones like Red-Arc (mine) HR and others don't matter on positioning.

I didn't realise that 360 degrees was possible now. The P2 which i used to have was 0 to 70 deg max. This opens up a few more locations to install one if/when I turf the red-arc unit if I can't get some help from red-arc...

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
What issues do you have with the Redarc?
I would love the ease and simplicity of instal of the Redarc with the proportional braking ability
Of the P3.
Best of both worlds.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but basically it only takes the smallest movement of the dial to go from nothing to locking up.
I spoke with the Redarc rep at the 4wd show and said it doesn't sound right and talk to head office (which I haven't yet). Adjusting the van brakes as suggested here made no difference.
I love the size and being able to position it so discreetly, but if it don't work no good, it ain't no good for me....

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
I have the redarc as well and it seems to work well. Have only towed a few times with it but so far so good. I thought it may be a bit touchy at first but not too bad.