2009 16.49.3HL Main Internal Light Problem

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
Hi all

Please help?

Just set up van at campsite and the two main internal lights and bed end lights at back of van, are not working. 12V is getting to fan over cooktop and TV OK. All other lights, eg. external lights, fan/cooktop/sink light and bed end lights at front of van are working great.

I have checked the fuses and can't see anything obvious. I have also checked bulbs and toggled switch at front door and nothing seems to work.

When we had our Jayco Swan Outback, sometimes the little silver switch above the sink would stick ... does the expanda have something similar in the pop top ... just drove 5kms on a very corrigated road!

Am I missing something?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. I'm not sure what van you have but our 14' has a switch on the overhead cupboard just inside the door which controls power to the two overhead lights. This switch allows you to have the internal lights on and switch them off as you go out the door and turn on as you come in.

Good luck.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
What chartrock said little switch at the cupboard that controls the lights should do it.

If you are getting 12 volt to everything else it would indicate your setec is plugged in and working, 12 volt is working it way through the van.

Only suggestion would the be -

1) Light switch on first cupboard to your right hopefully as you walk in

2) Fuses

3) Dodgy wiring

4) Blow bulbs (Unlikely all four of them would go)

Let us know which style of van and how you get along with those things?

And welcome to the site not fun with no lights at 11pm where were you setting up?? :welcome:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome FHC,
I had a 09 16-49-1 and no tricks to turning lights on, just the main at the door. Did you check fuses with a meter? Sometimes they can look ok but are not, maybe try swapping a few around? Hope you got it sorted.

Cheers.

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
Hi all

Expanda, we were camping at Bear Gully (Walkerville South ... we have been there 100s of times before).

I took van down late on Wednesday night, went home and came back on Friday to find some European backpackers had set up camp, literally 1" from my caravan ... I could not even put up the awning or lay down the annexe mat ... asked them politely to move but they wouldn't ... as you could imagine, I was absolutely furious (as we were having friends coming down the next day to camp ...). Anyway to cut a long story short, I calmed down overnight and we landed up having drinks and nibblies with them the next night ...

I had never, ever seen so many people camping at Bear Gully before ... can't wait for the rangers to bring in booked sites at Bear Gully (which the rangers have told me, will definitely be happening some time this year ... the sooner the better, as far as I am concerned).

Anyway, we spent over 1 hour testing fuses, switches etc. My husband took off the cover to the battery, to find that one of the terminal ends leading from the power supply, was loose (the one that powers the main interior lights, back bed end lights, toilet light and toilet flusher). The road into the campground (5kms) was so corrugated that it had shock loose the terminal end!

All was fixed and I was again a happy camper, until my husband broke a bone in his arm in the surf at Venus Bay on the Sunday ...

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all

Expanda, we were camping at Bear Gully (Walkerville South ... we have been there 100s of times before).

I took van down late on Wednesday night, went home and came back on Friday to find some European backpackers had set up camp, literally 1" from my caravan ... I could not even put up the awning or lay down the annexe mat ... asked them politely to move but they wouldn't ... as you could imagine, I was absolutely furious (as we were having friends coming down the next day to camp ...). Anyway to cut a long story short, I calmed down overnight and we landed up having drinks and nibblies with them the next night ...

I had never, ever seen so many people camping at Bear Gully before ... can't wait for the rangers to bring in booked sites at Bear Gully (which the rangers have told me, will definitely be happening some time this year ... the sooner the better, as far as I am concerned).

Anyway, we spent over 1 hour testing fuses, switches etc. My husband took off the cover to the battery, to find that one of the terminal ends leading from the power supply, was loose (the one that powers the main interior lights, back bed end lights, toilet light and toilet flusher). The road into the campground (5kms) was so corrugated that it had shock loose the terminal end!

All was fixed and I was again a happy camper, until my husband broke a bone in his arm in the surf at Venus Bay on the Sunday ...

Geez what an adventure!!!

How is hubby's arm is it broken in a cast?

Did you have to tow it home???

Glad you got the electrics sorted :)......

Look forward to hearing more of your adventures!!!

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
Hi Expanda

He broke the Humerus bone in his arm ... they put it in a sling. Once it was in a sling, the pain had virtually subsided ... he is used to pain ... he has his thumb pulled off in a workplace injury about 6 years ago.

Hubby had to drive his car (and boat) home ... it was his left arm ... so gear changing was a little bit difficult ... I drove the Panda (I am used to that ... though).

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Glad you got it sorted FHC, sorry to hear about the old boys arm! I can't believe someone set up camp where your awning goes, I would have dragged their asses out of there.....that's just rude!