2007 Prado OME suspension bullbar and winch vs 17.56-2 OB To WDH or not ??

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Well probably done a million times but after "real world" advice about this.

We pick up the Van next week, have already replaced the genuine toyota towbar with a new HR towbar (OMG how little are the oem ones).

Am also getting OME suspension done next week, heavier front springs as have bullbar and winch and new springs and shocks on the rear as well. Will raise the car about 25mm front and 40mm rear.

Jayco guys are telling us that as it's a tandem and bla bla that it will not drop the prado too much and that we do not need a WDH for it.

Now I would prefer NOT to have one so I don't have to go through the rig-moral of hooking it up all the time.

My question is should it be OK not to use a WDH on the Prado especially with the aftermarket suspension ??

I'm thinking that as the front of the car already has about 100+ kg's weight from the Bullbar, lights and 9000lb winch that the extra 150 or so kg's from the van should not pose a problem.

Opinions please !

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Personally, I will always use a WDH when towing something that heavy.
My old Pajero had an ARB bar, winch, spotties etc, on the front. Aux tank, 40 Engel and storage in the back.
It had a 2" lift all round with SD coils on the front and HD coils on the rear with polyair bags as well. I still used a WDH.

The purpose behind a WDH is not to level out the tow vehicle (although it will help to some degree) but to re-distribute the weight back onto the front axle and wheels that a van takes away when hitched up.
By its' very name that's what it does distributes weight.

They take no time at all to connect once setup, and you'll notice the difference, especially when it comes to steering and braking, with that weight back on the front wheels.

My 2c.

Matty

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
I agree with Matty.

I also have the 2012 GXL prado with the trimmings including the OME with similar lift. Towed the 1649OB for a few trips and was quite pleased. As we are about to embark on about 15,000 Kim's in three months with van I got a set of HR WDH. Drove a circuit without them then hooked them up and immediately drove the same circuit, OMG what a smoother ride. All of the bounce is gone and it really does feel safer. I will always use them from now on.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi gspy4u,

We just sold a 2008 Prado and have the same van as you. I run air bags! Depending on front load of the van I would sometimes run between 15 to 22 psi to keep the bum of the prado level.

I did have a WDH with our old van! I could go either way, from my experience they both provide the same outcome.

Good luck

Shaun

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
hmmm may have to look at getting the WDH then I guess, seems to be the more safe option anyway.

Can pick them up for around $585 now anyway so not to hard on the pocket.

Thanks for the advise everyone.