18' Series 18.57-9 Outback

80oka

Mar 23, 2016
Brisbane
Hey guys fantastic site,

I have a few questions about the Jayco 18.57.9 OB so I am armed with some knowledge before I seriously start looking. So what I know (limited), they are a full van (not pop top) and from what I can see they do have with a layout that ticks all the boxes for my family. We would be chasing one with the fold away bunks and would potentially be looking to get into a 2nd hand one later this year
jayco_expanda18.57-9.jpg
Questions
is it fair to say they are quite hard to come by?
What years did this model run from?
Any problems?
Best places to look?
What price should I expect?

Any additional info please feel free to add!!! Cheers people

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Mrs Pace wanted this van though due to storage requirement we went 17.56-2

They are a rare van,
They ran from 2011-2013 best to memory,
Usually Jayco stuff (hinges, locks nothing a handy man can fix),
Can be found anywhere in Aus.
I would expect them to be around $40K mark

Cheers Pace

Reactions: dagree and 80oka

80oka

Mar 23, 2016
Brisbane
How many Kids do you have ?
and what ages

Currently 3 soon to be 4, ages are 12, 10, 2 and new born in June. On a longer setup the older boys love or their seats etc outside but on the off chance we have an overnight stay during a long trip I want something that sleeps 6

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Welcome @80oka....

Fair to say I've looked quite closely for this van for some time, and I struggle to see why Jayco don't make it still. We've kept a good eye on the market for the past 3-6 months as I saw it as a great layout for our family.

is it fair to say they are quite hard to come by? I wouldn't say that, but none were ever close enough for us to go inspect sadly. Most of the market seems to be the 18.57.6, but there were a few .9s floating around during our time. It really depends on what your key options were, and whether or not you were looking for an outback.

What years did this model run from? Don't know the start year, but they pretty much finished in 2015 from what I could find.

Any problems? Never owned one so, can't comment. I suspect it would be subject to all of the standard Jayco "quirkiness".

Best places to look?
Gumtree and caravansales.com were essentially the only places we looked. Not much else turned up elsewhere.

What price should I expect?
How long is a piece of string? Depends on year, model, condition, location. But there is no denying they're at a little more of a premium over their pop-top cousins (17.56)... Perhaps that's why they don't make them... Most 11-13MY vans were around the $43-48k mark, later than that were $50k+ at times. Note these were asking prices. But really that can change dependent on the sellers situation.

Hope this helps...

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ok with that many kids the 9 might be the one to look for
I have the 18-57-5 and love it but I only have 2 kids, 8 and 10 and yes they happily sleep in the same bed at the end.
I originally looked for a bunk model but they were hard to find so got this one and very happy we did.
I paid $45k and that was from a dealer mine is a 2012 and was pretty much stock std.

My thoughts on why they discontinued it was the mid size 4x4 factor, the weight of mine total is 2594 fully loaded
most mid size 4x4 (Prado's, Pajero's etc) can only tow a total of 2500kg with this towball weight.
add on the JTec suspension and bang you need bigger car or a Ute.
The new Pop top version of the 18-57 is the same Tare as mine.

Reactions: 80oka

80oka

Mar 23, 2016
Brisbane
The car is the first upgrade, getting something with at least 3000kg tow capacity, this will then give us the flexibility to get an 18.57-9 OB (should we find one) or the pop top version 17.65.2 OB