18.57-8 opinions

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We are thinking of upgrading to an 18.57-8. Outback.

One thing that got us interested in the model was the dining area. But appart from that, anyone got one and what are your thoughts?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
We have one mate & are travelling from Melbourne where we picked it up back home to Cairns Nth QLD. We love it. We think its one of the best in the range as far as set out goes. We got a don't be rude load of extras & up grades that make it a great van for us.
Funny thing my parents have a new 24 footer luxury offroad van & they like our setout more than theres. Lol. True storey that.

Our only issue with it at the minute is that its not charging the dual 100 amp batteries from the vehicle while we are tavelling. We are getting power from the vehicle to the plug but when the van is connected power doesnt register thru to the batteries for charge.

We are at Dubbo , NSW at the minute. Our van is in Jayco there having its first service. I asked them to check it & they recommended we have a second Anderson Plug fitted to charge the batteries as the small wire from pin No. 2 is insufficient to charge both batteries. We have a 184 liter up grade Fridge Freezer which has an Anderson Plug solely for running power while travelling off the vehicle.

But over all mate we love our 18.

Oh yeah & definently upgrade to the Simplicity Suspension. Its a great setup & heaps more clearance thru the centre of the van underneath.

Reactions: Brad

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
We have one also and love it.We didnt really want bunks as we only have one child and when she brings a girl friend they just share the double bed.
When we go away with out her we just leave that end folded down,its just to easy.
We love the layout and the extra room/storage and the dinning area is a big plus:clap2:
They take a bit more to tow at they are quite a bit higher than the pop tops other than that they get our thumbs up approval

what toe

Aug 23, 2010
Perth, WA
These look great. The only problem that i saw is that you wont be able to lock your door back and have the kitchen window open very much at the same time. Just something i noticed.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yes we noticed that also (or rather my better half did). We didn't think it was a big issue either.
The next task for us is to locate one of these expandas in Melbourne. We were told yesterday by Bayswater Jayco that they had one on the lot. Today when we rang we were told that the salesman we spoke to yesterday was mistaken.
One hopes this was not a sales ploy to get us down there.....
Anyway, sounds like a ring around to find one to look at.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Went down to Bayswater Jayco today and were told that the 18.57-8 is now discontinued. They are bringing out a 18.57-5 variant and it looks just as good. (on paper that is) The main difference is the introduction of a separate shower and toilet. This takes up the space of the existing position of the combined shower toilet in the -8 model plus the entire cupboard where the microwave would go. A set of robes sit right up the back of the model on both sides. It looks like these robes are single door robes. The rest is the same although I think a window may be above the sink but not sure if this was in the -8 model also. Pricing is exactly the same as the -8 model.
We have gone away to do sums but think we will be back soon to put one of these babies on order if we can agree on a price that is.....

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi I have a plan of the 18.57.5, the final one as we have just ordered it off that plan. The shower and toilet is fantastic. We go a conversion for club lounge so it will sleep two children. So the van will then sleep 6 comfortably.
Regards Jenny

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I did post this plan previously but here it is.The plan you saw maybe the one we had prior to this one. This is the final plan our dealer sent us and we have just done our electrical plan and colours after Christmas.
They(Jayco) are putting some of these vans into dealers either early Feb or March.
Regards Jenny

Attachments

• new plan.pdf
    417.9 KB · Views: 346

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks Jenny,
Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to search on this forum for a string such as 18.57
Thanks for repos ting though as it does seem that we have been provided with the old plans.
We are trying to squeeze in a washing machine also. So we are going to ask if there is any possibility to place this beside the bathroom basin and toilet.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Brad I also asked about a washing machine. They said the front loader which you would probably put in bathroom has to have a concrete slab, apparently. Our dealer did say you may get a mall 3 kg front loader that might not require the extra slab. He suggested the machine be a top loader and have it fitted in the buffett cabinet on left as you go in
van. I dont want to do that so i may just wait and see and have it fitted after market once I can physically assess what the van looks like..ha ha
I have attached our old plan so you can see if its the one you have. Our dealer also said Jayco may still redesign our van so nothing is final yet! There is good and bad with that, we can get out of the deal if we dont like it, but we will go back to our original 17' but will have to wait longer I guess, anyway watch this space..
Regards Jenny

Attachments

• 18.57-5.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 281

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ours is slightly different again.... But closer to what we have.
Anyway, we have gone back to Jayco for some extra clarification.
In regards to the washing machine, if you take a look at the old 18.57-8 model they have an option for it. But now there is the new model I would prefer to see the washing machine in the bathroom area if possible.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Cheers mate. I envy the new layout, although these days its like buying a bloody stereo system. The moment you do , they are upgraded within a month !

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Have you ordered it with Simplicity suspension ? Thats what we have on ours & have it on an offroad tandemm trailer that carts dogs & quad bikes in the Cape & gulf country & tracks awesome. Wouldnnt have it any other way .

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yes we are asking for the simplicity suspension.
I still think we are a couple of weeks from ordering as we had a changeover figure in mind that has been exceeded. Which is ok but just means we will sell our current expanda privately.
Great to hear that we have ordered something with some recommendations behind it.

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
We too have been told of the new model, but without any coloured pics it's a bit of wait & see what the new model looks like.
We are a bit concerned that the bigger Bathroom has taken valuable cupboard space. Do like the bigger bathroom thou.
We have the Caravan Show here at the end of Feb so we will get along to have a LOOK
As for price we have been told 53,651.00 for, O/B model + outdoor shower,Air con, awning, wind up Ariel, Treg hitch, bed screens.
Does this sound about right??
Will be trading in our 2008 model 16.49-1 O/B last model before the hard lids.

Simon & Sue