Starcraft 17.58-03 OB Tare Weight

Flagg

Jul 13, 2017
SE Qld
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are seriously considering the 17.58-03OB. I am interested in what tare weight everyone's vans are ending up once built? The brochure says 1963kg as standard but I am curious to know what your experience is with your different specification of options and what ends up on your compliance plate.

Many thanks in advance.

regards Brett

megcam

Welcome Brett. Mine has bigger fridge, roof air, bike rack on back, spare on back, jerry can holder on front and comes in at:
1-DSC_0348.JPG

There are a couple more examples noted in a discussion here: http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/and-another-starcraft-17-58-3.7365/page-4

Reactions: bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Look im not starting anything but ...
There plates arnt allways..... lets say correct many cases have proved this on all types of vans im sure somtimes a ball park figure will do or one pulled out of the air can the bloke who dose them evan read numbers ?????? This im unsure

Reactions: wally

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Forget about tare weight it means absolutely nothing. So long as the total van weight is about 500kgs less than your towing capacity you should be good.

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Forget about tare weight it means absolutely nothing. So long as the GVM is about 500kgs less than your towing capacity you should be good.
Hi @Drover,
is it possible that you mean GTM and not GVM?

**** The post has now been modified and this comment is no longer relevent.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: wally

Flagg

Jul 13, 2017
SE Qld
Hi @Drover,
is it possible that you mean GTM and not GVM?

cheers
Mike

Not sure as GTM is just the ATM less ball weight. Tare is total unloaded weight and is what matters. You can alter ball mass by shifting the weight around.

Anyone know if the fibreglass sides are heavier?

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Not sure as GTM is just the ATM less ball weight. Tare is total unloaded weight and is what matters. You can alter ball mass by shifting the weight around.

Anyone know if the fibreglass sides are heavier?
Hi @Flagg,
I wasn't concerned about GTM, ATM, or Tare. They all relate to characteristics of the van. I was concerned that there is a vast difference between talking about GVM (Gross VEHICLE Mass) instead of GTM (Gross TRAILER Mass).

With our Penguin, the published Tare was 960kg. We added factory options of a Fiamma Awning, battery provision and 100Ah battery, ALKO drop-down jacks, and mudflaps. So I was expecting these options to add 50-60kg to the published Tare. Surprised that a Tare of 964kg was on the compliance plate and on the Jayco weighbridge receipt. Looked at a few new Penguins in sales yards and they all had a Tare on the compliance plate lower than 960kg.

cheers
Mike

Flagg

Jul 13, 2017
SE Qld
Hi @Flagg,
I wasn't concerned about GTM, ATM, or Tare. They all relate to characteristics of the van. I was concerned that there is a vast difference between talking about GVM (Gross VEHICLE Mass) instead of GTM (Gross TRAILER Mass).

With our Penguin, the published Tare was 960kg. We added factory options of a Fiamma Awning, battery provision and 100Ah battery, ALKO drop-down jacks, and mudflaps. So I was expecting these options to add 50-60kg to the published Tare. Surprised that a Tare of 964kg was on the compliance plate and on the Jayco weighbridge receipt. Looked at a few new Penguins in sales yards and they all had a Tare on the compliance plate lower than 960kg.

cheers
Mike

thanks mike, this is why i was asking what people were seeing on their plates once delivered as i would like to learn what the 17.58-03 OB weighs in the real world and whether anyone had put them over a weighbridge themselves.

cheers brett