17' Series 17.56-1 cracking fibreglass

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
Hi all, well it's been 6 months since we picked up our van and we love it. Such a great way to spend our weekends away.
Anyway, after we got back from our last weekend away on Sunday I discovered cracking on the back L/H side of the van. (see pics)
I will email the photos to our dealer tomorrow and hopefully will be sorted out easily. Not sure if they would fix this type of thing or replace the whole piece??
Our van is already booked for a service next month so hopefully we can get it all done in 1 hit.

Will keep this thread updated on our progress :)

IMG_2135.jpgIMG_2136.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Like Bigman I have never seen or heard of that before either.

I think ringing your dealer before it goes in for the service is a good idea as you mentioned, so they can allow time for the repair.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi pathy, ours isn't as bad but the fibreglass guy is out today to look at ours. I'll let you know what he says. image.jpg

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Pathy, Michael from East Coast RV's just came out. No worries to fix. Said ours would have been caused from the screws near there. They have had a few come in even with the cracks where yours are. If you are dealing with Jayco Camperland this is likely to be who they will get you to talk to.

Cheers
Andrea

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Andrea, is that Michael from East Coast Refinishers at Ashmore on the Goldie? If so, I can't speak highly enough of him and his company. They are the ones who repaired our roof, fixed our wall, fitted a window, put a dolly wheel inside the draw bar, the list goes on. Jobs may take a while but their service is great.

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
Hey all, I called Bris Camperland and they put me in contact with Michael. Hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow so we can arrange the repairs.
Thanks for the advise and feedback everyone. I feel a bit more easy with a repair after the good work that has been done to others.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hey Pathy-Expanda

I had similar problems with cracks in the fibreglass at both ends too and Jayco fixed them after lengthy discussion. They finally fixed the cracks and the van was out of warranty too. I was told that there was a problem with the moulds in the factory and not enough fibreglass was getting into the corners hence I had the same cracks as what you have shown.

Don't fear I would say Jayco will fix your cracks.

So because they fixed this problem out of warranty I don't think I would ever buy another brand of caravan ever again.

Buy the way I will be in the market for another Expanda very shortly.

Thumbs up Jayco!

Reactions: Drover

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
i have a jayco expanda thats 6 months old top of lift up beds botht have crakes on either side and jayco wont fix under warranty dont know what else to do

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... might rebirth this thread as I found some cracking on our van whilst up on a ladder cleaning it.

Cracking.JPG

This is the join of the walls of the van, at the back RHS corner. I (stupidly) didn't check the other corners of the van to see what condition they were in. Going to email these through to the dealer and see what they think but thought I'd ask the wise collective of EF as well.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
To me that looks like the paint is cracking on that metal section. Probably nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the input. I can confirm that you can see silver metal under one point. Will possibly need some treatment, I'd imagine to stop it spreading.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
OK... might rebirth this thread as I found some cracking on our van whilst up on a ladder cleaning it.

View attachment 28993

This is the join of the walls of the van, at the back RHS corner. I (stupidly) didn't check the other corners of the van to see what condition they were in. Going to email these through to the dealer and see what they think but thought I'd ask the wise collective of EF as well.

Hi @Smergen,
My roof ( up on top ) was average as well on our second hand van,to the point it started to leak in the back corners if the front was raised slightly.
The paint crazing in your pic looks like the alum flashing, which you can sand back, etch prime, and re spray.
My issue was the old silicone ( cheap stuff with a shelf life on 12 months ) so i sharpened up a chisel and slid it around and took off all the old stuff, it was not sticking too well as i got it all off in approx 40 mins, including around the aerial.
I mast up either side of the roof join about 25mm apart and re sealed with marine grade sica flex.
Its been out in the rain and is all good.

I did sand and respray an alum trim on our old van before we sold it, come up a treat - as long as you do the prep work.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Really appreciate the feedback there @Colin&Sue. If it's just a bit of paint coming off ali then I'm not going to go all "American Restoration" on it. However, the quality of sealant in a few spots was less than be desired so it might be a case stripping it back a bit and getting "my Sika on". Might just use a different type than last time as that small tube was a b!tch to use...

Reactions: Colsar

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney

View attachment 28993

Mine has done the same thing, glad to see it is only just paint cracking. Might get up and re paint it.