16.49-1 OB Tare weight

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi all,

OK, where to start.....
Our tare weight seems to be really high for what we have. Other members with the same model as us and similar set up seem to have a tare weight of a good 100kg's lower.

Our 2011 16.49-1 OB:
Tare: 1650
ATM: 1950
GTM: 1808
Ball: 142

Our factory fitted extras include:
Roof top air con
100a battery
150L fridge
smev oven
Roll out awning

Going by the 2011 Jayco brochure, our model should have a tare weight of 1455kg and ball weight of 150kg. I don't see how our extras could add up to an extra 195kgs on our tare weight.

Is it at all possible that Jayco could have incorrectly weighed our Expanda? Or are they usually spot on? Has anyone ever gone to a weigh bridge and found out the compliance plate weights are wrong?
If the annex was ordered with the Expanda when new, would the annex weight be included in the tare weight?

The reason I have started looking into this is because we are really pushing the weight in regards to axle load capacity of 1850kg and tyres 235/75R15 also giving us 1850kg for tyre load.

Then when I started looking into ours compared to others tare weight, we seem to be on the very heavy side, and really can't afford to go over our ATM, not even by a few kg's.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
Had the same thought , I looked at another well known brand of van window shopping and it only had a 75kg payload! When I asked the salesman he said he would supply a separate weight permit! whatever that is ?

Answer I rang Sydney Jayco 2 minutes ago and they said the vans are not weighed until they come off the production line! Thats battery,mattress aircon,whatever is fitted except the gas bottle is empty.
So you have 300 kg payload(atm -Tare) as is expected on a single axle van.

Whatever your tare weight I have looked at dozens of vans and it is almost always 300kg payload or less on a single axle. Some off road vans big money jobs have around 400kg on a single axle.

300 KG is bugger all a full 85 litre water tank is 85 kilos. doesn't leave much payload.
We quickly learned to keep stuff to a minimum and when I added a battery I only added a 55 amp hour one because it is coming out of my payload and never carry more than 40 litres of water in the tank.Even keep my fishing gear and sinkers to a minimum!

Greg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Had the same thought , I looked at another well known brand of van window shopping and it only had a 75kg payload! When I asked the salesman he said he would supply a separate weight permit! whatever that is ?

Answer I rang Sydney Jayco 2 minutes ago and they said the vans are not weighed until they come off the production line! Thats battery,mattress aircon,whatever is fitted except the gas bottle is empty.
So you have 300 kg payload(atm -Tare) as is expected on a single axle van.

Whatever your tare weight I have looked at dozens of vans and it is almost always 300kg payload or less on a single axle. Some off road vans big money jobs have around 400kg on a single axle.

300 KG is bugger all a full 85 litre water tank is 85 kilos. doesn't leave much payload.
We quickly learned to keep stuff to a minimum and when I added a battery I only added a 55 amp hour one because it is coming out of my payload and never carry more than 40 litres of water in the tank.Even keep my fishing gear and sinkers to a minimum!

Greg

Thanks for the reply Malibu,

I've been doing the maths this weekend and freaking out slightly about how close we are to axle and tyre loads. Jayco really like to cut it fine. 42kgs between our GTM and max axle and tyre loads, geez........

I guess my thought was is our tare weight incorrect?? 1650 tare even with our factory fitted extras seems too high, and bizarrely a very nicely rounded number. So although I know our payload will and can only ever be 300kg, I can't help but wonder if the tare was incorrect and lower than stated, then our ATM and GTM would also be lower and further from the 1850kg that's freaking me out at the moment..... Maybe it's all just wishful thinking...... Looks like the only definite answer will come from a weighbridge with the Expanda empty.

I know what you mean about the 300kg payload being bugger all. I have just spent the weekend taking everything out of the expanda to weigh and check what we are infact carrying in our payload. And when I say everything I mean everything! When we got the Expanda I did weigh before putting things in, but then after that more stuff started to creep in without being weighed and added to the spreadsheet. so back to the start for me.
To my complete shock we were well and truly pushing the 300kgs and that was without clothes, food, and bedding. Was empty water tanks too.

So after weighing everything, the only answer was our Expanda had to go on a diet, she had to lose some kg's asap.
I have seriously culled and think we are now traveling with the bare minimum, but still sitting at 260kg of our payload! Again without food clothes and bedding.

Not surprised you went for the smaller battery and light weigh options where possible.
I now wonder if others members were to do the same and weigh everything, how far over their payload they would actually be???

Thanks again Malibu!

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
It does seem odd your OB springs are much heavier than my slipper springs but seem to have a similar capacity. But I am happy to trust Jayco's weights .Having said that the maximum axle load is what their engineer nominated not necessarily what the axle or springs are capable of .Most people don't seem to be to concerned with tyre loads .
Aircon 39 kg,battery and wiring 35kg ?,awning 25kg? Maybe different flooring amterial?could be heavier?I'd ring Jayco and ask about your van they can tell you from it's chassis number.

We are two people and clothes & shoes we take are maximum total 22kg to cover all weathers(tend to wear shirts etc for more than one day ), We carry 10 litres of bottled water 10kg,
about 12-20 kg in canned food, rice, & condiments, I carry 8kg fishing gear, Other equipment/table/little gas burner and bottles for it 18kg , flooring ,annex (had this one made in a light shade cloth type material that has a water proof Velcro on inner lining)16kg,
2 Chairs 9kg,Wine ,ice blocks for fridge, vegies, cheese ,other items in fridge,7kg,battery chargers for cb, cameras,2kg,portable george oven 6kg?,kettle1kg,glasses cutlery,kitchen tools,toaster frypan 8kg ,6 litres in porta potty 6kg, 9 litres of gas 9kg?aluminium step ladder 7kg?,Cleaning stuff/bucket brush & pan/broom rags 5 kg .van Battery 13 kg

Pretty close but I'm bound to have forgotten some things so this is around 125 kg I'll round it up to 142 kg + 40 kg for water in tank+ tools & spare bits 20 =210kg! and this is for two older people.
We guess that most families would struggle with a single axle van but there seems the enough capacity for us and some of the above will probably travel in the Falcon as we are not taking the fold up pushy this time and have also reduced the floor matting we take for the annex to create more van boot space.
Every time we go we have reduced how much we take, spent more than 30 weeks in the last 2 years in our vans.

This is probably why so many people buy duel cab utes for the extras they can carry.

Greg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Shower models have a heavier payload, mine does according to my compliance plate

As quoted from current Expanda brochure

The standard unit carrying loads Jayco apply are;
Single Axle, non internal shower units 300kg
Single Axle, internal shower units 375kg
Tandem Axle, non internal shower units 400kg
Tandem Axle, internal shower units 475kg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
We had the same model with simplicity suspension ands similar options and the tare was 1720kg

Cheers for that Chooka, good to know!
Do you by any chance know what the simplicity suspension weighs?
Thanks again!

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hi Lara,

Ours is 2010 16.49 1 OB

Tare: 1553
ATM: 1853
GTM: 1701
Ball: 152

From what I can gather from the paperwork from the original owners, it was pretty stock standard, one tank, one gas bottle, 150ltr fridge and assuming the annex weight and hoses etc were all after. That was also with no battery.

Hope this helps!

Tracy

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara,

Ours is 2010 16.49 1 OB

Tare: 1553
ATM: 1853
GTM: 1701
Ball: 152

From what I can gather from the paperwork from the original owners, it was pretty stock standard, one tank, one gas bottle, 150ltr fridge and assuming the annex weight and hoses etc were all after. That was also with no battery.

Hope this helps!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy, good to know what your tare weight is, especially being the same model as ours.
Appreciate it!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi, my 16.49.2 OB came with a weighbridge ticket of 1605 kg, being an outback, 150l fridge, wall aircon. awning.

Greg

Cheers for that Greg, i reckon I'm gonna go and have it weighed at a weigh bridge for my own sanity.....

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Lara, our 16-49-1ob that we sold had the same weights as Tracy's. I had to weigh our 18' for rego, the tare was close but the ball weight was way over what was stated in Jaycos pamphlet, however I didn't like the way the bloke weighed the ball so I'm hoping its wrong! I haven't weighed anything we put in our van so I could be over but they are all essentials as far as I'm concerned and I don't think I could take much out.

Imo the weakest link is the crappy tyres Jayco fit, so if upgraded maybe the payload would not be so critical. I think most accidents are caused by driver error or incorrect weight distribution in van, not necessarily the overall weight (Gross). They way I look at it is if I'm 50kg over the payload, within the tyre load rating and she rides nice then I'm happy with that. I'm not suggesting people should ignore maximum loads, like I said my opinion only, but if anyone is concerned about being slightly over then the least I would do is upgrade tyres. With my first service I got them to check the brand of bearings and as CD said they are Japanese so that's a good thing!

Cheers.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara, our 16-49-1ob that we sold had the same weights as Tracy's. I had to weigh our 18' for rego, the tare was close but the ball weight was way over what was stated in Jaycos pamphlet, however I didn't like the way the bloke weighed the ball so I'm hoping its wrong! I haven't weighed anything we put in our van so I could be over but they are all essentials as far as I'm concerned and I don't think I could take much out.

Imo the weakest link is the crappy tyres Jayco fit, so if upgraded maybe the payload would not be so critical. I think most accidents are caused by driver error or incorrect weight distribution in van, not necessarily the overall weight (Gross). They way I look at it is if I'm 50kg over the payload, within the tyre load rating and she rides nice then I'm happy with that. I'm not suggesting people should ignore maximum loads, like I said my opinion only, but if anyone is concerned about being slightly over then the least I would do is upgrade tyres. With my first service I got them to check the brand of bearings and as CD said they are Japanese so that's a good thing!

Cheers.

Cheers Burnsey,
Thanks for that, agree about the crap tyres. I did toss up the idea of upgrading the tyres but even then the axle would still be rated 1850kg so feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Its frustrating that Jayco don't use higher load tyres and axles when the our GTM is so incredibly close to the max load. They sure do like cutting things fine to save a buck.
You should see my spread sheet now after pulling everything out to re-weigh, makes me look like an obsessive compulsive weigher! I'm now at 255kg without food, clothes and bedding. And that weight isn't including our Primus fridge or BBQ which will be travelling in the boot of the Kluger and not in the Expanda. And after double and triple checking and removing what I could, there really isn't anything else I could take out. The 255kg we are at now is all nessessities.
One good thing for you to know Burnsey is that your option to take out the table has saved you 17kg's, yes I weighed it, table top legs and base! So realistically if your loose unfitted table was in your Expanda when they did the Tare weight, which it would have been, then you have an extra 17kgs up your sleeve to add to your payload.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Careful with changing tyres they are on the compliance plate and must match what the plate says.

Good point Malibu, any tyre change/upgrade would have to be re-certified And re-plated. And not no mention costly!
We're being very careful with our payload. Because at the end of the day it's about safety, not only for my family but all other road users too.
Thanks to for your breakdown in an earlier post of what your carrying for 2 people. I know to most people a payload of 300kgs sounds like a lot, but when you really break it down, 300kgs doesn't go very far, and like you said especially for a family. If I hadn't pulled everything out and weighed it I can honestly say that once food, clothes and bedding were thrown in I would have been at least 70-100kgs overloaded.
Its a good feeling to know that I've now got it all sorted and are within my payload!
Thanks Malibu.