Starcraft 15inch or 16inch rims on 20ft OB Starcraft

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi all,

After advise / help.

Just ordered a 20ft OB Starcraft, and just not sure wether to upgrade to 16in rims, is there any advangaes etc.

Not doing it to match car etc, as car is new Ranger on 17in rims.

Cheers

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Greg. Congratulations on the order. Think I'd save my money too.

What other options did you get?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hi all,

After advise / help.

Just ordered a 20ft OB Starcraft, and just not sure wether to upgrade to 16in rims, is there any advangaes etc.

Not doing it to match car etc, as car is new Ranger on 17in rims.

Cheers
16" vs 15"
Main advantage of 15" would be lower centre of gravity (COG). However, the 16" rim and tyre depending on tyre profile would most likely raise the COG by about ½" which is not very much. Also typically 16" rims and tyres weigh more than 15", but not by very much.

The 16" rims do have several advantages such as (for similar construction) they usually have a higher load rating for rim. Also there are many more (and cheaper) high load rating light truck (1200Kg /1400Kg) tyres readily avaialbe in 16" compared to 15". Larger rims will also have better heat dissipation and usually handle rough surfaces better.
If you had single axel 16" rims are a really good idea, with dual axel they are a nice to have, but would only fit them if the increased cost was marginal. The cost to change them at manufacture for Jayco should be minimal. What is the cost for the option?
Also 16" and 17" tyres are now becoming the normal size for 4WD tyres and hence are becoming more common in the bush; so you may have a better chance of picking up a 16" replacement tyre in a remote area.
Overall, with dual axel nice to have 16"and 16' highly desirable with single axel. However, note once you decide which size it goes on the trailer compliance plate and unless you get a new compliance plate you need to always buy that tyre size and profile.

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi all,

Thanks for your help and advice. I think i will just stay with the 15in rims, as i went and had another look today and very little difference. I think i will use money else where. I think i will upgrade the suspension on the "Truck" to 300kg OME ( Old Man Emu )

Last edited:

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi Greg. Congratulations on the order. Think I'd save my money too.

What other options did you get?

Hi twscoot,
We got a few options:

extented draw bar
Extra battery
Extra solar 120 watt solar panel
Third water tank
Leather seats ( yes i know, i can see the eyes rolling, but we did not like any of the 2015 fabric colours )
Washing machine ( thats for the little woman LOL)
Second outside table
Three way folding dinette table
Second spare wheel

We do alot of free camping in the bush.
Planning big trip in july / august up the Gibb River Road and then across the Savvanaha Way to Cairns , then back down the middle.

Cheers
Greg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I missed this. The thing with 15"s as @yabbietol mentioned there load rating sucks. Now not an issue with a four wheeler but it depends what you do remember the JTech is not load sharing so the loads at times will be different on each wheel. I choose this time to go 16"s for the much better choice of rubber avaiable in LT. Yes they sit a little higher too which is good.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The LT tyre isn't all that crucial with duals but with a single axle you really need the LT tyre for the load rating of 110 or higher just to get that margin, you don't need the OffRoad tyre, just need the Load rating to suit your weight plus a bit more, off road tyres do look cool though but an aggressive tread pattern doesn't do a thing, it's not a driven wheel, a good ATR or trailer pattern is better.

See Bob Jane's http://www.bobjane.com.au/info/load-index-speed-symbol/ it's a handy reference also http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html it will give you the difference for various wheel/tyre profiles, so if you go from 15"to 16" just change the profile and you won't throw your height out too much, you can mix and match to suit. For a change later on it is crucial that you make sure you have room in your guard for the tyre and thats allowing for spring compression, there's a lot of measuring from all perspectives, it's not just does it fit on the rim.
With 15" you should be able to get a 104 rating off the shelf, above that seems to be an order in with the 16"the rating is higher for off the shelf stuff. But then if you want the look at me tyre you better go 16".
With radials the ply ratings are not all that differn't where with the old rag tyre you could shop around for an 8 ply and it actually did have a thicker wall not so nowadays.

As for compliance plate, well since Jayco issue plates with the wrong info, really it's not much of an issue, nobody looks at them. I have a compliance sheet to show it complies but the plate is wrong....!!!!!! and it has been pranged.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
I spoke to NRMA the other day as our Starcraft can only have 15" and we wanted 16", they said as long as it complies (load & speed ratings) and can be registered with it on the van, so can get a pink slip they have no issues with 16" wheels being put on the van. They don't even want to know about it. I will be getting it listed on the policy if we do it that way they can't say they didn't know.