Electrical 12v Power usage

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all.

I have the Drifter control panel and like it EXCEPT for the fact that the amp meter is accumulative. By this I mean that it only shows what is happening at that precise moment and doesn't show if I have had a positive or negative accumulated count on the battery for the day.

I am wanting to put in some form of meter (along with the drifter as it has the tanks and switches etc) that will show this accumulated amount. My solar reg shows how much the panels have put into the battery, but as the load goes out through the Setec and not the regulator it doesn't have an account of what has been used.

Has anyone done this and if so, what did you use?
As mentioned, I don't want to be removing what I have but someway of tracking this would be good. The NASA BM1's look excellent but does a lot of what the drifter does for me now (and is also bloody expensive for what I am trying to achieve).

I am about to put a fixed panel onto the roof of our Panda as find that the folding one we have doesn't cover us the best for long stays away when we run our 40l Engel fridge as well as the gas fridge. So will have both the fixed and portable panel available for long stays, and the option of leaving the folding panel at home when only going away for a weekend etc.

I believe that with the two panels my battery will stay pretty much full in good weather with this setup unless I am running the Engel as a freezer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BJ

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
you want something like this?
upload_2014-9-2_10-33-15.png

I think you are after SOC (state of charge) for the day/previous day etc
upload_2014-9-2_10-41-2.png

If you going to get what you want you will have to disconnect the drifter and reconnect the new unit to a shunt on the battery, that way you can see everything. Actually thinking about it I think that the drifter shunt is in the setec unit. so you may be able to have both side by side.

Last edited:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Thanks @bigman0510, that is kind of what I am after something that shows what went in and out. That way as long as my in's are same or more than out's means I am replacing what I have used. Gives me something to watch so as to not run out of power.

Not so much after the SOC as the "fuel gauge" on the drifter does show me that to some degree. The Drifter has its own shunt so yes would not be anything from having the two side by side.

What type of unit is the bottom picture?

BJ

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I was also after something that privided feedback on battery. Not so much detail, just real time in and out, and battery condition. For all you learned people, I was looking at this unit, but I like the price better on the Victron number. Are they similar in function

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320824351273?nav=SEARCH
Hello
I am new to this forum, but a couple of years ago I bought from ebay (unfortunately don't have the URL) a gauge that monitored battery voltage (designed for forklifts, etc.). It cost about $35 and has a LED display. The display went from green to yellow to red (flashing when very low voltage) along a bar. Green indicating a fully charged battery.
It was on my Avan which I have sold, but it was really good as its flashing (red LED) gave a warning of low battery voltage and the other colours gave plenty of warning as the battery voltage dropped.
Not as much data as some battery gauges, but very informative and simple to install. I installed along side 2x 12v sockets and protected the lot with a 20A thermal fuse (from Jayco about $12).
Attached is a couple of pics one from front and one from back.
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Hope this helps
Regards
Yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hello

Have found URL for something similar from China not sure about quality?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-...cal_Test_Equipment&hash=item27dc74fc00&_uhb=1

A similar one is on sale from Australia for about $30, but also made in China.

I am interested as I will buy something similar when I buy my new Van as I found it good when free camping and also for checking battery was charging from mains.

Regards
Yabbietol

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Welcome to the forum @yabbietol, make sure you wonder over to the member introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself!
The drifter control panel already has this type of fuel gauge so good on that front, but was just wanting a little bit more detail so I know how we are tracking. Our van is not a heavy user of power so probably don't really need it, but you know what it is like, the more we know...

BJ