17' Series 12 volt fridge use? Or not?

MatandSash

Sep 29, 2019
Mildura, Vic
Hi there, we have just got our first van, a 2014 expanda outback.
I was told at pickup that,(guessing here) pin 2? on the 12 pin is used solely to run the fridge while travelling, or at least plugged in.

My questions are, do I need the fridge switched to DC while travelling?
Do I need the battery mains switch on?
And will the fridge run off the van battery, when tow vehicle is unplugged?
And I guess the end result, do I need an LVC on my tow vehicle?

I'm sure it will all make sense eventually!

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well the story on 3 way fridges has a number of threads which explain it all very well but sometimes the search is difficult..............

I was told at pickup that,(guessing here) pin 2? on the 12 pin is used solely to run the fridge while travelling, or at least plugged in.

You can have the 12v supply to fridge thru your 12 pin plug and while it is what it was designed for many of us change it to a Anderson plug as the 12 pin can, sometimes melt thru bad contacts... Just always make sure the pins are not closed and the socket well home and all should be good.

do I need the fridge switched to DC while travelling?

Ideally run your fridge on 240v for about 2 days before you leave, this will get the unit nicely chilled down, give it about 12 hrs then start putting stuff in so that your fridge is virtually packed and ready to go and has about 4 hrs shut up before you unplug, this keeps it happy. When travelling 12v will usually keep it at temp but won't make it colder, soon as you open the door it will struggle to get it any colder........ run your fridge in camp on 240v or gas and if your kids open the fridge door like at home and stare then your fridge will turn into a food warmer, cold drinks are better kept in an Engel or Esky....... Run it on gas before you leave to make sure everything is working, read the manual for your fridge before you do anything, many wait till at camp then find problems.
To test if its gong to work on 12v or any of the sources actually but with 12v plug your vehicle in, keep engine running and turn fridge on, let it run for awhile then put your hand over the little vent on the outside wall if you feel some warm air then its working or remove bottom vent and touch the tube like unit on the right it should be warm, same thing for 240 and gas, though gas you can hear it a little bit but its just a tiny flame.

Your 12v fridge will not run off your van battery, these fridge chew a heap of power and would flatten your van battery in a matter of hours, when plugged into your tug, unless you have a fridge switch in-line or some other sort of movement sensor then pull the plug every time you stop.Eery time I stop I always do a walk around the rig, tyre kick and look , pulling my anderson as I go, I also walk around before I leave again, checking tyres and making sure no funny bustrad has pulled the pin or something, I plug the anderson back in then.
The battery main switch should be on as this will allow the battery to charge from the tug or solar panels if fitted but nothing to do with the fridge.

Some vehicles do come with them fitted but while they are great, unless you can set the voltage then they could leave you with a non starting engine, I prefer something that turns the van power off straight away.

So there you go..................

Last edited:

MatandSash

Sep 29, 2019
Mildura, Vic
Thanks driver, all pretty self explanatory really. I thought maybe there was some on board trickery or witchcraft that might thwart the logic brain.

Just to clarify one point you mentioned. Do I need the battery switch on for the solar, and tug to charge the battery?
At pick up we were told to make sure that is turned off at pack up!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi there, we have just got our first van, a 2014 expanda outback.

My questions are, do I need the fridge switched to DC while travelling?

I'm sure it will all make sense eventually!

@Drover has covered most of the points you asked. If you are looking for a "set and forget" system to protect your tug battery from being flattened by fridge when engine is not running, a Low Voltage Relay connected in series between battery/alternator and fridge line will do the job. I have a Projector 50A unit in my vehicle, relay connects fridge when voltage exceeds 13.4 volts and disconnects fridge line when voltage drops under 12.6 volts. No need to remember anything as it works automatically. Cost approx $50.00. The only other way is as @Drover mentioned is to have the fridge line connected to the ignition switch - when you turn off the engine, you turn off the fridge too! Not the best if you are wanting to use accessories without the engine going though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and if you can't find how or where your 12v supply on your tug runs from you could just buy a Fridge Switch, about $60 and plug it in at the back of your fridge where the 12v cable junction is, actually thats my choice as its easier than stuffing around under the bonnet of a vehicle at times, or you could just stick it inline at the back of your 12 pin socket on your tug....... I like things that the KiSS principle applies to as I'm a lazy bugga now....

Reactions: Disco Duck