16' Series 12 volt fridge question

Darcy

Apr 18, 2014
Hi all, picked up our new 16:49:4 touring expanda, I had the battery set up put in from factory and just wanted to know when travelling does the fridge run off the van battery or the car battery???

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Forgot to mention it should also be setup to switch on/off via a relay or have a Low Voltage Cut-off switch fitted to save the car battery going flat if stopping for a period of time..... Or unplug it when stopping if you can remember!!

Darcy

Apr 18, 2014
Thanks for your responses. I have a 7 pin round plug & Anderson plug to battery in the van. I was wanting to run the fridge off battery in van so I didn't flattern my car battery does anyone know if this is possible.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you run your 12v fridge off your van battery, which by the way you would have to rewire, the fridge will flatten that battery in about 30 mins or so, run off car when engine is running or gas when no 240 available.

Your fridge only runs 12v from vehicle via anderson plug usually, 240v from genny or pole or gas when no 240.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Thanks for your responses. I have a 7 pin round plug & Anderson plug to battery in the van. I was wanting to run the fridge off battery in van so I didn't flattern my car battery does anyone know if this is possible.
I had done this - fridge connected to the van battery via a low voltage disconnect and had the battery in the van connected to the car via an Anderson plug. I found that this did not work. After 4 hours travelling I would find that the low voltage disconnect had kicked in and shut the fridge off. Ended up changing the fridge back to the Anderson only via the LVD and works perfectly now.

BJ.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Do you have a 12v fridge like you heading says or a 3 way fridge? every one here is assuming you have a 3 way fridge.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
Best thing to do is either get a smart relay wired wired in that when you turn the key off it cuts power to the van or fit a fridge switch they cut power after ten minutes of sensing no movement

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I wish I took a pic of this on my swan but I pulled my bottom fridge vent off,cut the power wire to the fridge and put a redarc smart solenoid in. I got the earth from the spade terminal near the back of the fridge. When the red arc was on it had a led that glowed red that you could see through the vent. This will let you fridge run only when your engine is running
They cost around $100 but the fact that it takes 5 miniutes at the most to install and wire up more than makes up for it.