17' Series 12 pin wires ?

becdan

Feb 10, 2015
Hi, I have a 2013 Expanda Outback 17-52-02, Does anyone have any idea what the large yellow wire connected to pin 12 would be used for.
yellow.wire.jpgblack.wire..jpg
Also as i understand it the pink and white wire on pins 9 and 10 are for the fridge and the larger black wire on pin 2 is for the battery charger. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Don’t know on the yellow but what you said is correct for the other 3. Well it is on a 16.49.
And I am of the belief that pin two is just a trickle charge from your tow vehicle if its wired up for it. It doesn’t actually run the battery charger. Well that’s how mine is any way.

Gary Page

Nov 22, 2014
Sydney
Hi #becdan. attached is a file for connections on a 2014 17-56-2OB maybe that will help

Attachments

• 17081400.PDF
    195.9 KB · Views: 366

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Becdan, just wondering if you figured out what the yellow wire was for?
I assume that you are not the original owner..

Everything else is the same as my Expanda. I was out playing with mine today, and was wondering if that yellow wire has been fed through the caravan wiring loom ? There appears room to feed additional cables through it.

I have been thinking about feeding an extra wire to setup some reversing lights on the Expanda.. Getting tired of backing up onto sites in the dark.
Also note as described above that Jayco use pin 2 for Battery/12V power for the Caravan. Why they do this is beyond me, as there are spare pins on the bottom 5 pins.. Pin 2 is usually reserved for reverse lights.. and like my Territory is wired to the vehicle reverse wiring.. and if your not aware of this, you can blow your the fuse in your car when you put it in reverse :).. I disconnected my reverse wire on the Territory.

anyway, good luck in following the Yellow wire.

Cheers

Darren

becdan

Feb 10, 2015
Hi Darren,

We only just got the Expanda a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. No I haven't figured out what the yellow wire is but yes it does go through the wiring loom just haven't followed it all the way back yet.
As for the battery feed I haven't wired that up for the tow vehicle yet but was thinking about changing the vans wiring from pin 2 to pin 8 on the 12 pin and running a relayed hot wire to pin 8 on the tow vehicle. If you were to do this you could use pin 2 for your reverse lights as normal. I have set up the fridge supply with an anderson plug as I have heard many times that the 12 pin pins may be to small for the 150 ltr fridge.

Cheers Becdan.

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Becdam, Yep we too love our Expanda, had it for 16 mths.
Your going to do what I was planning, move the pin 2 down to pin 8, and use pin 2 for its original purpose, reverse lights. Thinking about using a relay, and powering the reverse lights from the Van battery, the reverse wire to operate the relay.
I have kept the 150lt fridge on pin 9 and 10 at this stage, and not observed any issue yet.. The bottom pins are suppose to be rated to 35 amps.
On my Swan, I manage to melt pin 2 running the 90lt fridge, this was when Jayco only supplied a 7 pin plug with the Campers. An upgrade to a 12 pin plug fixed this. The top 7 pins are only rated to 15 amps.

Good luck with the upgrades and Mods, its contagious!!

Cheers Darren

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Nath69

Oct 22, 2014
Cromer
Hi Becdan

The yellow wire may be the Breakaway brake battery charge monitor wire.

I noticed a yellow wire connected to pin 11 when I pulled my trailer connection apart to check. I traced the yellow wire back into the van and to where the breakaway brake controller and battery is installed.

In NSW, the breakaway battery charge monitor by law must be installed in clear view of the driver.

I just installed the charge monitor and yet to test it. I bought a cheap voltage monitor off Ebay and mounted it in the dash. Fingers crossed it works OK.

Cheers

Nathan

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Becdan

The yellow wire may be the Breakaway brake battery charge monitor wire.

I noticed a yellow wire connected to pin 11 when I pulled my trailer connection apart to check. I traced the yellow wire back into the van and to where the breakaway brake controller and battery is installed.

In NSW, the breakaway battery charge monitor by law must be installed in clear view of the driver.

I just installed the charge monitor and yet to test it. I bought a cheap voltage monitor off Ebay and mounted it in the dash. Fingers crossed it works OK.

Cheers

Nathan
I was thinking the same. The vans used to be hard wired in NSW. Now Jayco use a wireless system.