water pressure another stupid question...

Glenn42

Jun 26, 2013
pretty sure my mains water pressure regulator is R/S my question is do you really need this....the inlet to the reg is still the black plastic piping complete with push on style fittings, with this in mind the inlet side must be able to handle the pressure then why cant the rest of the system??

Cheers
Glenn

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
I think you will find that the internal tapware and hot water service is not rated over 350KPA. I have tried mine carefully without the regulator and the flow pressure is not much more.

Some towns you go to may have extremely high pressure and some may have above average pressure and you might not realise. Comments have been raised in the past on other forums about just turning the tap that feed the van on less. But, the problem is when all the taps in the van are closed, the pressure still remains the same and you have only really reduced the flow rate.

The pressure reducer is there to stop you blowing your fittings to bits and having the dreaded water leak in you van. All vans generally have them. Things like campers sometimes don't as they do not have HWS's in them. When you add a hot waster, it time to add a regulator.

Can you imagine coming back to your van after being out for a couple of hours to find a pipe has failed!!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I've heard of regulators being put on the wrong way around and I had a non return valve fitted in the wrong place so that the tempering Valve wouldn't allow the hot water to work when using the Pump