20' Series Shopping list and thoughts

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey guys - as per the introduction of myself in the Member Introductions I thought I'd put my purchase below and open it to feedback.

Just as a quick recap we are a family of 5 (Myself, my Wife and our kids are aged 10, 8 and 5) and we hope to both get away for a quick weekender as well as setup for a longer touring trip(s) around Aus (I think the first the boss has scheduled is to the rock in the middle).

I've paid a deposit (but the build hasn't started yet so I'm guessing there is time for alterations) for a Jayco Expanda 20-64-1. OB (Standard 2 solid Bunks)

Additional upgrades I added were

1. IBIS Roof Mounted Air Conditioner Upgrade

2. Roof Windup TV Antenna

3. External Entertainment Pack (this really drove the decision for the 2 bunks instead of 3 or the 2 with a table)

4. 2x External Picnic Tables

5. External Shower

6. Annexe Light above External Shower on separate Internal Switch

7. A-Frame Extension

8. Fusion Stereo System (Basic) with External Speakers

9. Additional 240 Volt Power Point to Rear Bed End

10. Additional 12 Volt Power Point to Rear Bed End

11. 22” TV / DVD / Pivotal Bracket

12. Drifter Control Panel

13. 150Watt Solar Panel Upgrade

14. Jayco Bed End Covers

For the upgrades we didn’t do:

• Oven – feedback was it wouldn’t really be suitable for a family of 5 (to small) and most caravaners tend to use a Webber (or similar) outside anyway

• 3rd water tank – extra weight.

• Premium Stereo – meh – whatever (Give me a reason I want this ;-) )

• Washing machine – once again the 3Kg size was tiny – better off with the extra storage and/or carry a hand washing machine if off grid or use a laundry at a caravan park

• Bunks – as above list of inclusions we are getting the External TV pack. Looking forward to the footy while on holidays and cooking a BBQ for lunch.

I am still debating (and seeking advice) of whether I will need load levellers or not. I'll be towing with a 2014 3.2L Dual cab Ford Ranger XLT (canopy/Bulbar/draws, 40mm EFS lift). Currently the standard factory towbar sits about 40mm higher than the receiver on the van.

Reading some of the threads here quickly I've already seen a few mods I didn't think of (and to be honest didn't know where possible from the factory).

- Extra shelving in Pantry

- External access for the rear (and front ??) storage

DIY mod I love is the sensors on the toilet cassette and hooking it up to the drifta as the "waste" tank - I could see this saving me many times over.

I also have a 105aH Full River battery in the camper we are replacing - considering hooking this up (or asking the dealer to) as a dual battery for the van.

The car is booked in to get (amongst some other Autoelec work) the 7 pin plug replaced with a 12 pin (including the extra wires recommended by Jayco) and an Anderson fitted on the towbar - the Jayco dealer is wiring an Anderson straight to the battery(ies) for me.

Considering a separate reverse camera (any suggestions??) as I don't think I can integrate it into my current setup.

I know a bike rack for the front will be coming – but I need to stop haemorrhaging cash right now.

And last (I hope - but probably not) but not least I think I'll put a set of Clearview mirrors on the tug.

All the above is open to feedback/constructive criticism so please share your infinite wisdom and experience.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
One other thing to look at would be getting a extra mount for jockey wheel in the centre of A frame, that way it will not be in the way when or if you fit a WDH.
Cheers - do they do that on request? I'll ring the salesman in a few days and see (once I get a list so he doesn't get sick of my calls).

Also good idea on the battery - but this would mean the purchase of yet another battery (which I already have) - thinking time I guess. I'm thinking all up I will be hitting closer to the 6T mark once fully loaded anyway

Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I would reconsider the oven, do you want to be cooking in a webber in the weather we are having ATM.
Does anyone here have the oven option that can post a pic with something for scale? The dealer didn't have the model on display in any of the vans - apparently is not a very popular option.

Happy to reconsider all options.

TIA.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have a 18ft and I recently put external hatches to the rear storage and it is the best thing I did.
I t is very skinny and hard to get to from inside the van but from the outside i can store a 30 second tent a gazebo and all my fishing gear.
the 30 second tent is huge and was a pain in the ass before because it had to go on the roof rack or on the floor of the van.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Does anyone here have the oven option that can post a pic with something for scale? The dealer didn't have the model on display in any of the vans - apparently is not a very popular option.

Happy to reconsider all options.

TIA.
I have a Journey with an oven, not sure if it's the same one offered in all models but I will get a pic tomorrow for you, where are you I'm in the yarra valley if you wan't to look at one.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
For the upgrades we didn’t do
  • 3rd water tank – extra weight
Welcome @Macca_75, nice choice of van there !! Good to see a few more of the big rigs coming on board.

I'd seriously think about adding the 3rd water tank. Yes it adds an extra 82kg when full, but from the looks you are getting set up to allow you to free camp.

Our experience with the large van is that more people use more water.

I have plenty of power but water is always an issue. I only have 2 tanks and wish I knew what I know now and added the 3rd tank.

Also with adding the sensors from the Drifta to the toilet cassette, I was originally looking at doing this mod (and still might get around to it one day) but there is already a float in the cassette that activates a red light when full near the flush button so you do know when it's full.

I think ESC is standard now, but if not, you should add it.

I'd also consider adding access to the rear tunnel boot via a door inside beneath the rear bed or via external hatches or both.

Good luck with the wait

Last edited:

Brad77

Feb 9, 2016
Sydney
I have a 18ft and I recently put external hatches to the rear storage and it is the best thing I did.
I t is very skinny and hard to get to from inside the van but from the outside i can store a 30 second tent a gazebo and all my fishing gear.
the 30 second tent is huge and was a pain in the ass before because it had to go on the roof rack or on the floor of the van.
Is that the 18.58-2 you have? Did you do it yourself or did you get a dealer to do it? I am wanting to do it too but wondering about the cost.
Cheers

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
image.jpeg
Here's a picture of the oven. I have used it a couple of times. There is a turntable inside but to find a decent baking dish to fit in side is very hard. And also get an extended drawbar for a box like this
image.jpeg image.jpeg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Considering a separate reverse camera (any suggestions??) as I don't think I can integrate it into my current setup.
And last (I hope - but probably not) but not least I think I'll put a set of Clearview mirrors on the tug.
All the above is open to feedback/constructive criticism so please share your infinite wisdom and experience.

I am biased, only because I have spent so much $$$$ over the years - the Polaris Camera Systems are fantastic
even if you dont go for the Polaris - DONT get a wireless camera setup
with the length of your Van, you would need a booster 1/2 way, and then you get to watch other peoples reversing skills when your not in reverse as it will pick up some signals sometimes

I am also Biased to the Clearviews
yes you can get cheaper - but last year (I have had mine for 5 years) they replaced - free of charge - the passenger side one as it kept vibrating as you drove along - good service I think

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds great and I go along with the above comments, I would add though that to get the most out of having dual batteries you should have identical batteries both in age, make and type, mismatched pairs tend to not get charged to their full potential.

megcam

Yeah definitely get the jockey wheel mounted inside the A frame. If we had room for a washing machine SWMBO says she would definitely get one. On longer trips so much time is spent going to and from the caravan park laundry, is it done yet, and avoiding the washing machine nazis that the 3kg limit might not be an issue.

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
I have a washing machine you can do washing when it suits you and don't have to wait your turn at the park. Having 4 kids you need to keep on top of it and at $4-5 a load it doesn't take long to cover the costs of the machine.
Also on cameras I used a brash import wired camera thanks to recommendations on this forum, it's reasonably priced and basic to use I installed it myself but if you are purchasing brand new get them to put it in. I have 2 cameras one pointing down for view of rear bumper and one pointing out to assist with overtaking and I can watch who's picking their nose at traffic lights I was going to use the in dash in the car but have a seperate system is way better being on all the time only down fall is another screen to mount in the cockpit. I used a suction cap to the window and remove it when I don't want it.
image.jpeg
I put 2 work lights in for reversing at night while installing camera

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I had a chat with a couple who had a washing machine in the van. They were complaining they could fit one sheet at a time only so we gave up any thoughts of that.

As said, useful for keeping up with smalls but bigger stuff would still need a visit to the laundry.

Reactions: bigcol and Macca_75

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
View attachment 44166
Here's a picture of the oven. I have used it a couple of times. There is a turntable inside but to find a decent baking dish to fit in side is very hard. And also get an extended drawbar for a box like this
View attachment 44167 View attachment 44168
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics.

The oven actually looks bigger than it was explained to me. Still deciding as we do have a thermal cooker than can do pretty much anything from the stove top (roasts, scones, cakes, etc). Space/Cost/cupboard space vs. versatility/added weight. Hmmmm.

I've got the extended draw bar - Love your setup for a Gen if we ever get one. I'm thinking the bike rack will need to go here somewhere.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Seems like you have most basses covered.
In regards to extra battery consider getting it fitted at factory, that way the weight of the battery is included in tare weight and does not affect your payload.
Enjoy the Van when you get it.
Can someone please explain why it would matter if it's included in Tare weight and not payload? End of the day why does it matter which it falls into?

Cheers