Starcraft Expandas gone long live the Starcraft, and we finally got one!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well the Expanda was towed up our drive for the last time today. Purchased by a great family from SA who intend to use her to the max. Despite them being friends of Cracka's they were really nice people and it's always good to sell to nice people. Jokes aside appreciate your help Cracka.

So as some of you may have guessed we have been very keen on the 17.58-3OB Starcraft and had cut a deal pending sale sometime ago. So basically we are getting the model above with a few options that I can't recall ATM but will post up later. It's scheduled to be built in August so we don't have (hopefully) much of a wait. Maybe just enough time to tidy the shed up and paint the floor?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
yeah relatively, think its been out since march??? 17 ft with shower/toilet and room for 4. not everyone's cuppa but I wanted to keep it small, we tend to go places that bigger vans just don't fit, so its a compromise.

Pac1977

Feb 19, 2012
Nice @achjimmy we are waiting for a 17.58.3, they seem to be a good compromise between the Expandas and the full size vans. Jealous that yours is August, ours is not due until October.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
okay so iirc we ordered the following options

16" wheels
2X spares one front one on back
extended drawbar
extra panel (2 X 120w panels)
extra 100ah battery (2)
wind up snowflake antenna
drifter panel
roof truma
large thetford fridge
sound system
tv and bracket
picnic table
ALKO ESC (should be standard)
extra trunk door to the rear under bunks
and an extra 12V at the rear.

getting the gas bottles relocated forward 500mm (hopefully)
and the bed reading lights on the double swapped ends (no idea why they put them over the TV anyway)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
okay so iirc we ordered the following options

16" wheels
2X spares one front one on back
extended drawbar
extra panel (2 X 120w panels)
extra 100ah battery (2)
wind up snowflake antenna
drifter panel
roof truma
large thetford fridge
sound system
tv and bracket
picnic table
ALKO ESC (should be standard)
extra trunk door to the rear under bunks
and an extra 12V at the rear.

getting the gas bottles relocated forward 500mm (hopefully)
and the bed reading lights on the double swapped ends (no idea why they put them over the TV anyway)

Awesome specs... If I ever get the chance to afford a new van, I reckon those specs would be where I'd be at, sans maybe the TV but add another gas bayonet. Can't wait to see the pics.

halbster

May 13, 2014
Never noticed those lights before, why would they put them next to the TV?? Might have to do that mod myself when our van gets here.
What's your plan for the extended drawbar? Toolbox?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Watching TV we have it that end then we been swapping and sleeping up that end as I have CPAP so need to plug it in.. It sits in the cubby well.
Going to add another light the other end although probably a battery reading book light.
Also thinking to add a 12v clock above the bed so I can see what time it is.

TV we put ours up on overhead cupboards no stand as yet.. It has been in 3 or 4 different places including outside hence we did not get a built in one. the 28" we brought bigger is better does not fit on stand on the bench about 2cms off.

Also remember the 240v above the bed is the only one you have for the kitchen so get a powerboard for more outlets and so the kettle can plug in :)

Reactions: Fay cairns

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
thanks all

Yes Dual axle.

no idea why the lights go that end, need to ask the Jayco gods.

thanks Dave, yeah I looked at an extra power point in kitchen and we didn't like the only place they would put it (cant recall now where that was).

TBH this time around Jayco was very limiting in what and where they would change things. and after last time I can sort of understand why, they don't get the mods that right imo. so left anything I can do, like extra 12v under the dinette etc.

First mod will be toughening up underneath, thinking of sealing the ply and painting bitumen paint on. then a roll of rubber covering everything remotely fragile. maybe replum the drainage in PVC too.

thinking a stonestomper this time, need to talk to Christian about how it mounts to the crusier. But want to get it setup ASAP, not sure I will make the CC trip sadly.

Reactions: TerriD